Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
20-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #1

water fountains

I bought a cat it fountain quite a few months ago and im not sure whether its because our house is on a tilt or whether our one was never right to begin with but we always had problems with it so we finally gave up on it about 2 months ago and put it away. since then Raven has had bladder problems so we now want a new fountain to make sure he is drinking enough-does anyone have any recommendations?

i was looking at the drinkwell fountains and they appear to be good but thought i would ask for opinions before forking out £50 plus for one!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #2

Re: water fountains

I had a petmate one for 3 years and it's only just given up. I've now got one that has the globe that the water runs down and that needs a flat surface to sit on. Had problems initially (our 200 year house is not on a hill but slopes too) but a bit of wedging up with some cardboard beneath it seems to make it work OK. I don't know the one you mention, but I have to say, overall I'm very impressed with them.

I have 3 persians who are fussy about putting their faces into a bowl so it's great for them!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #3

I have the same one as you Yola, and must say its really good....My lot all use it...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: DSH
20-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #4

I have the Fresh flow one and it is really good and easy to clean which i think is important.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
20-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #5

As soon as my extension is done I'm going to get Denis one, maybe he will stop drinking out of the sink or the bath then eh??

Yola is it because of the fur that they don't like putting their faces in bowls?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #6

I think it's because their faces are so flat . . . they don't like sticking their faces right into the bowls.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
21-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #7

Can I just recommend....

http://www.freecycle.org/

I got a Cat-it water fountain (the domed one) for free from my local freecyle, so worth a go!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
22-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #8

I've got a Cat It fountain and have never had any problems with it. Mine all seem to love it.

I know it's not for all cats though - my dad got one for his cat and he wouldn't use it - so I inherited that one too

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
22-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #9

We initially brought a fountain because we have one cat who has kidney disease and we wanted to encourage him to drink more & we have a cat who loves drinking from the bathroom tap but since his arthritis prevents him from jumping up to the tap these days we had to find an alternative.

We have a CatIt water fountain and the Pet Mate one too, the Pet Mate one seems to work better on slightly uneven surfaces, the cats don't seem to prefer one over the other.

The differences between the two fountains that I have found are - The Cat It one holds more water so doesn't need refilling so often which is good for us having 5 cats we were refilling the Pet Mate one all the time.

The Pet Mate one filters the water AFTER the pump, which is good since we have found the pumps get clogged up with Lime scale/ fur and dirt, the Cat It one filters the water before the pump (meaning the pump takes longer to get dirty so I guess it balances out)... we still use the Cat It one just something I have noticed.

The Cat It one does have to be on a very even surface to work properly.
I find the Pet Mate one a bit easier to clean because its a bit smaller.

Also a good tip for cleaning all water fountains is to soak the pumps in vinegar overnight once in a while, it dissolves the lime scale, when you plug it in after doing that it pumps out all the dirt and scale - We had to do this when one of the pumps stopped working entirely and it worked again afterwards!

I have also just cleaned all of the scale off our Pet Mate one by covering it in cotton wool soaked with vinegar and then cling film over the whole thing and leave it over night and then you can just wipe off all the scale.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
23-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #10

sounds like most of you have the cat it one. i dont think mine is just down to uneven surfaces though, my partner says there seems to be something wrong with the pump so i might contact them to see if we can get it replaced or something.

ive never seen the pet mate one, anyway got a link to it?

samz5-good tips for cleaning! will try that when needed thanks