Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #1

For Angie: Hand-feeding Grass

These were the best I could do...not easy taking them myself..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #2

Re: For Angie: Hand-feeding Grass

Oh that's lovely Eileen - she is a dainty girl, eating her grass from your hand. What a service - both for Leia and for me too - didn't expect the picture that speedily. Thanks so much!

Catsey Veteran

10-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #3

Well, I read your post just before it was time to put out the recycling and trash for tomorrow's pickup, and to pick her grass, so figured I'd give it a try.

Last year I bought her a tray of cat grass and she wouldn't eat it; Mags suggested it was because she'd always been hand-fed, and sure enough that was the answer...when I picked it and held it for her, she ate it...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
11-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #4

Thanks for these pics Eileen. I shall have to try Posh with taking grass from hand as we have yet to get the Seeded trays here. Then I hope it will be 'self service'

Catsey Veteran

11-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #5

I'd be interested in hearing if she will eat it that way! Patches was the only cat besides Leia who ate hand-held grass; that was because when she got to be about 18 she didn't want to walk on her harness any more, but had always loved her grass, so I tried bringing some in for her and it worked!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
11-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #6

I have to look into the seeded grass tray. Balie's a serial grass muncher and now my garden's paved he snacks on my ornamental grasses and I'm not sure if they're good for him or not.

Should I just seed ordinary grass or do I need to buy some special variety?

Lovely pictures, Eileen - there is a real tenderness in them, can't put my finger on it, but I find them really touching.

Oh, and I love your bohemian ring collection

Catsey Veteran

11-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #7

Thank you Yola! It is a nice bonding thing....and I have mentioned before that I'm an earring freak; well, I'm a ring freak too...

I don't think you can buy less than a five pound bag of lawn grass seed; you don't need all that. I'd get one of those pre-planted trays that you just water, see if he likes that. Here they're available at pet stores and many supermarkets...got mine at Whole Foods last year. Or there must be some lawn grass growing somewhere about, just pick some and see of Balie likes it hand held...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
11-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #8

I have grass seed that I've bought for my front lawn. As it's south facing I've got one that is drought-tollerant. Just wondering, as I've got a glut of it, whether it'll work for the kits

D'ya know, I'm passionate about rings, but ambivalent about earrings. Never used to be, but just always wear the same ones day in day out now.

Catsey Veteran

12-04-2008, 02:10 AM   #9

I always felt my ears were too big, so wore earrings to (hopefully!) distract peoples eyes. I didn't get my ears pierced till I was in my early 30s...needle-phobic coward.. but had gotten so tired of losing clip-ons or having them pinch my earlobes badly! So, once I took that step, went wild...I have three jewel boxes of earrings...far more than anyone needs...but it's a minor vice, and I do enjoy them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #10

I used to love wearing both rings and earrings, but do so much less now. I've still got them all though!