Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: DSH tortie
20-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #1

newbie needing help deciding a breed

hi guys, right i need help deciding on a breed, rescued and fostered afew cats/kittens in the past but always wanted 1 if 4 pedigrees, so because i now have the space and time ive decided this year is the year to buy a breed ive wanted for a while,
-birman
-maine coone
-ragdoll
-ragamuffin
just wondered what people thought
thanks in advance

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
20-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #2

Re: newbie needing help deciding a breed

Sorry I've no knowledge of any of the breeds you listed I'm a persian fluff fan.

Have you considered rescue pedigrees - thats how I got mine

20-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #3

i dont mind rescue, if i came across one id rescue instead just dont know where to look

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
20-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #4

ragdoll rescue - www.ukrcc.co.uk

birman rescue - http://www.birmancatclub.co.uk/welfare.htm

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: NA
20-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #5

Out of the ones you list I'd say Maine Coon personally. Have never heard of a Ragamuffin so looked it up and I personally would steer clear, it seems an amalgamation of many breeds with little specific breed type.
Becky

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
20-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #6

I am biased towards Siamese & Orientals But I know people that have both Maine Coons and Ragdolls and both are lovely but in very different ways. I do not know anything about Ragamuffins. Have you visited any cat shows? It's a great way to see all the different breeds in one place to compare and chat to breeders and exhibitors and find out more about them. Exciting times ahead, do let us know how you get on

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #7

I think a ragamuffin looks really nice - not sure of the origins though!

There was a thread on Catsey a while ago about what makes people choose certain breeds - here's the link

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=26176

I'm still thinking about Burmese - mainly because I used to look after one when his owner was away and he was a real sweetie! All the pedigree societies that I have looked at have rescue branches. Good luck - do let us know what you decide!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #8

I'm a shorthair person myself, but from your want list I'd pick a Maine Coon. Why? Greater genetic variability; hence probably better chance of a healthy cat.......

21-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #9

thanks for your replys guys, been trying to find stuff on genetics and if any of them are known to have major health problems etc so far its the ragdoll that stands out if we got a ragdoll from a kitten do you think our DSH would be ok with it when it reached its adult size???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #10

Hi - I'm not sure if ragdolls grow to be large cats, I'm quite sure I've read that Maine Coons do though. I think Ragamuffin is an American breed. I think Birmans are adorable, friendly, cuddling, loyal but talkative!

You need to consider temperament too. Do you want a talker, a lively cat, a placid cat, an indoor cat, and independent cat. Also bear in mind that pedigrees are more likely to be stolen, they don't live as long as mogs and they are often not as bright/outdoor savvy.

I would urge you to go for a rescue if at all possible, simply because people often fall for a long haired cat and then realise that they do need a little more care than the average cat and dispose of them in favour or something more independent.

Do let us know what you decide!