Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: moggies
18-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #1

skin problem now a bowel issue

Hi

Just wanted to post my story incase others have a similar issue.

My Jerry (got both Tom & Jerry) last summer started to loose his hair from eye to ear and a rash was appearing, also loosing from his ears. On a visit to the vet he was treated with a steroid injection which appeared to work. However after 2-3 injections it wasn't working and he was loosing weight. Worried that the injections were worsening the issue I tried changing diets and giving him a bland diet. Removed all air freshners and watched closely for changes. Nothing seem to help and after being a big lad he continued to loose weight. At xmas we had an xray and discovered constipation, phew a releif to treat the cause I thought! Well initially yes but sickness has continued, not so much a skin problem now. Changed vets to get a scan done and that was just a couple of weeks ago. Releif its not anything sinister and bloods etc normal, layering normal but thickening of the bowel. Seems to be a inflammatory bowel disease and now just started a change to diet on Hills r/d which is fine for both Tom & Jerry.

Fingers crossed this will make a difference to Jerry and Tom will loose weight !

Hope this will help anyone out there who maybe experiencing a similar issue. I thought I was going to loose him to something dreadful but turns out to hopefully be a diet issue, he is only just turning 2.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-03-2008, 10:30 PM   #2

Re: skin problem now a bowel issue

Thank you for updating us on Jerry.

It's good to hear that the vets have now diagnosed what was wrong with him.

I hope the diet helps to improve things for him ..........sending him healing vibes and cuddles

Please keep us updated on his condition..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
18-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #3

I am glad that you have got to the heart of the matter, (was going to say bottom of it but didn't feel it was appropriate). I hope Jerry is back to his usual self pretty soon X

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
19-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #4

Hi I know how it is as my cat Tilly has got Inflamatory bowel disease as well but she is doing well on d/d. It was very scary but she seems to be OK now.

Sally

Cats owned: moggies
19-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #5

thanks all for your replies

Yes very scary but interesting you say d/d they have advised r/d just now still trying to get my head around the different kinds

I have Tom who is a bit overweight in the house but poor Jerry is underweight

so far so good though
x