Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
16-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #1

pilling a cat

tips/tricks?
here's the deal.

tigger's old vet mixed the prednisone with the amoxi for me..it's all liquid but i still have a heck of a time giving it to him as he is very old and grumpy.
so i knew i was low on this stuff..did all the vet transferring records stuff...and the new vet didn't have any of the liquid pred on hand so they gave me pills this time and said if i really find it impossible they can order the liquid.
he doesn't like treats..i can barely get him to be excited about food as it is...so that won't work.
i still have some of the old stuff left but it'll run out in a few doses...
so, how should i do this without stressing an old and sick cat out?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #2

Re: pilling a cat

My old Winston hated his preds too and he was a very good cat to pill. I just gave it the routine way, open his mouth, pop pill in and stroke throat till he swallowed. He didnt like the taste but he was a very good boy and didnt stress at all which was an advantage.
How about some oily fish? Something that diguises the smell of the pill?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
16-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #3

I have a little pill popper from the vets which is a bit like a syringe shape and you put the pill in the end and then use the plunger to pop it into their mouths - very quick and gets the pill right to the back of the throat

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic Short hair
Steph is Male
16-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #4

I used to scrunch the tablets up in a few drops of water and then syringe them down the throat.

Not very dignified but it`s quick and saves getting the odd scratch

Catsey Veteran

16-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph
I used to scrunch the tablets up in a few drops of water and then syringe them down the throat.

Not very dignified but it`s quick and saves getting the odd scratch
that was my idea...since he isn't interested in any treats or food when offered..i was thinking crush it enough to put it in a syringe of some water and give it to him like i do his liquid meds (very quickly).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #6

Prednisolone should not be crushed. To crush them damages their slow release formula which can be dangerous.
Thats what i was always told by the vets.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
16-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Prednisolone should not be crushed. To crush them damages their slow release formula which can be dangerous.
Thats what i was always told by the vets.
Echo this ...... my boy was on prednisolone for 3 months and we had no probs with a pill popper. Prednisolone can taste bitter as well as I hate to imagine what crushed in water would taste like

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic Short hair
Steph is Male
16-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #8

Fair comment-I do not know the drug in question, was just giving a tip

Catsey Veteran

16-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #9

okay..it'll only be half a pill a day and the pills are fairly small..i'll try the back of throat thing (though he clenches his jaw shut even with the amoxi which is why i was worried)..i guess i can hold his mouth shut till he swallows but i read somewhere not to do that because cats actually need to open their mouths to swallow...does that ring true to anyone?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #10

Never heard that Tink. Once you have managed to get the half pill as far to the back of his throat as possible (you may need your partner to hold the cat steady if you find he squiggles about) just hold his jaw closed firmly but gently and stroke the underside of his throat to stimulate the swallowing action. Shouldn't take long, but be careful - some cats can "hide" the pill somewhere in their mouths and spit it out later - though probably if the pill is bitter this shouldn't be too much of a risk! Good luck - let us know how you get on.