Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Closed Thread

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
28-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #1

Another dog attack hits the news

This time it's an elderly Poodle that has been killed in it's own garden by 2 Staffordshire Bull terriers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/7268771.stm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
28-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #2

Re: Another dog attack hits the news

Oh that is so, so sad. To get to 15 and end his life like that. As the article says he stood no chance. He should have been safe in his own garden. What on earth were these staffies doing out to allow this to happen? They get enough bad press without owners being so totally irresponsible.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
28-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #3

Its not the dogs its the owners.....not read the article yet though so will read and then reply from there.

Catsey Veteran

28-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Its not the dogs its the owners.....not read the article yet though so will read and then reply from there.
In the main I do agree. However, my experience of staffies is not good so I don't trust them and stories like this don't really do much to change my opinion

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
28-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #5

That is so awful. That poor dog stood no chance at all. His poor owner must be in total shock.

R.I.P. Giamo.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #6

How dreadful! Dumb question: are Staffies akin to or are they what we call pit bulls here? Pit bulls and rottweilers are the ones here involved mostly in maiming/killing incidents.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
28-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
How dreadful! Dumb question: are Staffies akin to or are they what we call pit bulls here? Pit bulls and rottweilers are the ones here involved mostly in maiming/killing incidents.....
No they are 2 different breeds.

Staffies are staffordshire bull terriers.

American pit bulls are banned in this country... however, these 2 were actually staffy crosses, so could well be pit bull type.

Nobody knows what happened, noone was there when the attack took place. I know there is no excuse for this type of behaviour, but is it sensible to leave a 15 year old dog alone all day with access to the garden....I don't think so.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #8

Thanks, Smudgley; I wondered ..........

Catsey Veteran

28-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #9

Smudgley, I was under the impression that the owners of the poodle witnessed the attack, so the dog was not alone?? and I tbh I think it is fair to say that if your garden is fenced so your own animals can't get out then you would and could assume they would be safe from other dogs. The owners of those dogs were in the wrong for allowing their dogs to get in to someone else's garden, it should never have happened imo

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
28-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Smudgley, I was under the impression that the owners of the poodle witnessed the attack, so the dog was not alone?? and I tbh I think it is fair to say that if your garden is fenced so your own animals can't get out then you would and could assume they would be safe from other dogs. The owners of those dogs were in the wrong for allowing their dogs to get in to someone else's garden, it should never have happened imo
Noone was in. I heard the owner of the poodle being interviewed on Radio WM (local radio) early this morning and she said they leave the dog at home all day with the back door open. The son found him when he got home at 3pm.
Of course the owners of the staffy x's were in the wrong. And your right that you would assume your dogs were safe from other dogs in your own garden, but i still think it's irresponsible to leave a dog unsupervised in a garden like that when you are out.

Closed Thread