Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Maine Coon
23-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #1

help with my old cat

Hi my name is jenny i am new to this site,
can anydody give me some advice, my cat is 16 years old i think her mind is starting to go! she cries most of the time if she can't see me or if i go out of the room. her appitite has increased alot i seem to be feeding her every hour just can't fill her she is starting to put on a lot of weight i have had her to the vets he said she is in good health. she has now started to urinate on the furniture i think she forgets where she is.does anybody now what i can do to help her
Jenny

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
23-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #2

Re: help with my old cat

Welcome to Catsey

I am so sorry to hear that your cat is poorly, If your vet says she is in good health then I don't know what to advise. Has she had her eye sight checked? You may have to put out some jumpers you have worn when you go out so that she can smell you. Have she always been cling, cuddly or insecure?

There are a few people who have elderly cats and I am sure they will be along to advise X

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
23-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #3

I'm so sorry for you Jenny. I guess that this is an age related thing but pleases seek vet advice as many members here have elderly cats and have not got these problems. Some may be able to be managed in order to make life a little more comfy for puss and less stressful for you.

Will keep you and your old lady in my prayers. what is her name by the way?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
23-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #4

Warm welcome to catsey! Sorry to hear you having some problems with your cat. Certainly cats can suffer dementia like symptoms and some of what you are describing certainly fits this bill. Interesting that you mention that her appetite has increased as on the whole in older age it tends to decrease. Has your vet tested her thyroid function at all? Also might be worth getting your vet to check her blood pressure. Good luck and do let us know how she gets on..

Catsey Junior

23-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #5

Thank you for your wecome, she has always liked her cuddles her eyes are fine, maybe it is old age she just seems to be in a world of her own when she is crying i have to go and pick her up and talk to her.

Catsey Junior

23-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #6

the vet did check her over and blood test every thing was good, i think she forgets that she has had something to eat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #7

Hmm, how very strange. I think I'd be inclined to seek a second opinion as some of the symptoms described are classic behavious of dementia and or over active thyroid.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
23-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #8

My friend had an elderly cat with progressive dementia. It was very sad, when on the phone to her I could hear the cat crying in the background. The cat wasn't distressed or in pain or anything she simply got confused and cried for comfort. I think there were other issues with sight and hearing going too.

The weeing could also be a symptom of increasing forgetfullness. It is a sad fact. Keep you old girl warm, comfortable and contained. By that I mean don't let her stray too far from the familiar, for her own good. If she's on home territory - even a case of being in one or two rooms only, she may feel more relaxed.

May I wish you both the very best.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #9

Hi, Jenng and welcome to Catsey! The symptoms you've described do sound very much like the onset of senile dementia, sorry to say. Here's a link that might prove helpful to you on older cats; specifically the part on dementia.

http://catsarepurrfect.com/age.html

Do tell us a bit about her, and how she's doing.......

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
23-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #10

With the increased appetite my first suggestion would have been overactive thyroid, however reading again you have said that she is gaining weight rather than losing, and so I would be inclined to say that her thyroid function is probably not the problem. The classic hyperthyroid cat will be ravenous, but dropping weight before your eyes.

The symptoms you describe appear to be classic of dementia. Cats suffer with this condition just as humans do in later life. Luckily there are products on the market now available to help combat brain ageing and help our pets live out their senior years in a much happier way.

One of the products is made by VetPlus and is called Aktivait. We use it at our surgery and have had lots of success with our older patients. I'm unsure if your surgery use this particular product but they may have something similar. It may be worth doing some research into these products and mentioning this to your vet.