Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
06-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #1

Thoughts on Foofoo's deafness

Some of you may know that she had an ear polyp removed in January. Ever since then she is totally deaf. The hospital said that she had poor hearing before the op and this may be why she has lost her hearing. I had to stop giving her the ear drops as this may be causing the deafness ie. all the fluid.

It has now been 2 weeks since I stopped the drops and she is still deaf.

She is due back at the hospital next week and will have the camera in her ears and another hearing test.

I wasn't given any warning that she could lose her hearing before the op and the vet has indicated that she cannot think of any reason why she has subsequently lost it.

I have no evidence to back this up but I think they could have damaged her ears during the op. Is there anything I should be asking when I take her in next week?

Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #2

Re: Thoughts on Foofoo's deafness

Gosh, so sorry to hear Foofoo's deafness might be more serious than originally thought. I don't have enough knowledge of how the ear works to be able to offer any sensible response. However, does it seem to be affecting her quality of life? Do you know if she has completely lost all hearing? How hard of hearing was she before? There are SO many contributory factors it's difficult to know where to even begin

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #3

So sorry about Foofoo's deafness. How old is she? I think my old cat (21 years) may be going a bit deaf as I can creep up behind him (I'm not ever so good at creeping!) and he doesn't know I'm there till he can see me. However because of his age and the fact that he doesn't go out (so no need to worry about traffic) I'm not that worried. His sight is as good as ever.

Hope you manage to get some answers from the vet next week. Perhaps you should just come out and ask was it something that could have happened during the op?

Catsey Senior

06-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #4

She is absolutely fine in herself - well appears to be anyway. The one thing I have noticed is that she is a lot louder than she was and she was really loud before!! I now get woken up in the middle of the night to pick her up and put her into bed because she doesn't know where I am

I have always suspected that she didn't have great hearing before but she could hear me call her etc.

Foofoo was found as a stray (dumped I think ) so her estimated age is 10 so only middle aged

I think I will just come out and ask about whether the op could have caused it - not that I'm expecting them to admit it but you never know...

I'm dropping her off next week in the morning before taking Fabes for his appointment at Uni of Liverpool hospital - will be picking her up and having a consult on my return. Will be doing one heck of driving that day and sitting around in vet waiting rooms - lovely way to spend a morning off work!

One other thing - last time I took her for a check up after the op they didn't charge me. The receptionist checked and came back looking a bit confused and said that it was right - nil charge. Another reason why I think its all a bit odd.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #5

That does sound a bit odd CS, I'd probably start by asking more about why there was no charge.
I dont know anything about polyps or ear stuff tbh but i did find the following link which explains about polyps and the proceedure. It may help to be a little more informed.
http://www.fecava.org/files/ejcap/420.pdf

Catsey Veteran

06-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #6

That is strange, about the non-charging I think Angie's right, just raise it with them in a matter of fact way. I hope they don't try to cover up - after all, you will have signed a disclaimer before the op so it's not as if you can sue them. It would be good if you could get to the bottom of what's happened.

Catsey Senior

06-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #7

Yep - in no way am I thinking of the litigation route I would just like to know whats gone on really.

Thanks for the link Elaine will have a look now.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
07-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #8

Whenever my cats have had an op the follow up appointment/s have been free. Not sure why they were but the vets were very good and I had no complaints. It might have been because we were there so much with the cats!. Or it might have been that I did work for them as a saturday help when I was younger but I don't think it was. I thhink it might have been there policy.
Anyway hope it get sorted out soon.
Sally

Catsey Veteran

07-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #9

So they didn't charge you for the op or for the follow up appointment? I thought it was for the whole operation! No - my vet doesn't charge for the follow ups either; it's all wrapped into the price you pay for the operation. Sorry, I misunderstood

Catsey Senior

07-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #10

The op was £500+ - perhaps the follow up was included but I've never come across that before.