Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #1

Shrove Tuesday

Yes, next Tuesday 5th February, is Shrove Tuesday or .......Pancake Day!

Do you have pancakes every year, do you make your own or do you use the packets of Pancake mix?

I love them with loads of lemon and a sprinkle of sugar!

Ingredients:

125g plain flour, sifted
1 medium size egg, beaten
300ml milk
a little oil for frying

Method:

Sift the flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the egg, then gradually add half the milk, stirring constantly. Add the remaining milk and beat thoroughly, until smooth.

Heat a small omelette or frying pan and add a few drops of oil. Pour a little batter into the pan and tilt so that the batter coats the bottom of the pan.

Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until bubbles appear and the underside is golden. Loosen the edges of the pancake, then flip it over and cook the other side for a further 1-2 minutes, or until golden.

Pile the pancakes on to a warm plate, separating them with sheets of greaseproof paper. Keep warm and continue to make 8 pancakes in total.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
03-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #2

Re: Shrove Tuesday

I will make pancakes next year in my new kitchen.... before then I will be eating auny bessies ready made and allowing the kids I work with to put their toppings on them, which will be lots of fun!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
03-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #3

Is it really Mags? I always thought it was after my birthday or does it just depend on what the first tuesday in Feb lands on?
Am I thick or what?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
03-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #4

Ah! I have a better way of making them, add milk shake and hey presto you have you pancake mix!!!I am not a cook!!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Is it really Mags? I always thought it was after my birthday or does it just depend on what the first tuesday in Feb lands on?
Am I thick or what?
Shrove Tuesday always falls 47 days before Easter ........and Easter is early this year...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
03-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Am I thick or what?
It depends where in the year Easter falls Elaine. Shrove Tuesday is always the day before Ash Wednesday. Ash Wednesday being the first day of lent leading up to Easter. Easter is early this year, so shrove Tuesday is too...

In recent years, we have always made our own pancake mix (same mix as Yorkshire Puddings) however, this year for ease, since things are hectic here with lots of kittens etc..I have bought a packet mix to which you just add an egg. I eat mine with lemon juice, orange juice and castor sugar, yummy!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
03-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #7

Yes, it's a frighteningly early Easter this year

I have to be creative with pancakes because of OHs wheat intollerance. Might try buckwheat pancakes but they're a meal in themselves and certainly to heavy to toss in the pan

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #8

That's a custom that never caught on here in the States; I don't do pancakes, but would gladly eat some if they were at hand!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #9

Have to admit last year tried the ready made ones from Tescos coz got fed up with having to wait my turn! They are OK (not as good as homemade) but lovely with fresh lemon or orange and sugar. Just have to think carefully to find something light to have beforehand, as pancakes can be enough on their own, and of course you all know you can't just have pudding! (WHY NOT, I ASK???? )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
03-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #10

We love pancakes.
We shall be doing them on Tuesday & then I'm going for tea at a friends house wed with a few other friends & she's doing pancakes too.