Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #1

What makes you choose a certain breed of cat?

Of course this is the purrrfect place to ask this question that's been bugging me for a while!

What makes you choose a certain breed of cat, always assuming in the first place that you have a pedigree cat and not a dear old lovely moggie (like mine!). The variety in types is astounding I think, from the slightly built very short haired orientals to the powder puffs that are persians and, it seems all sorts in between.

Did you choose your particular breed just because their look appealed to you (all a matter of taste) or did you look for particular breed qualities such as temperament, robust health, etc.

Of course I have my own "favourites" but I'm not going to let on until you've told me your reasons..............

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #2

Re: What makes you choose a certain breed of cat?

Growing up I enjoyed a series of detective novels about a couple who had a brilliant Siamese; they just struck me as very elegant and sophisticated; not the coolest reason to get a cat, but hey, I was young! After my lovely Su-ling went to the bridge I got my second pedigree: an Aby. Why? Because the neighborhood pet shop had Aby kittens, and I fell in love! Didn't know way back then that a pet shop was one of the worst places to get a cat; I lucked out. Sultan was in magnificent health, a super smart cat and a real love! My last pedigree was Dandy, a Singapura, simply because I'd read an article in Cat Fancy about them and thought they were a stunning breed, coloring similar to Abys (ticked) but a different personality type completely. They were all wonderful cats, loved then dearly, but also dearly loved and love my moggies!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
02-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #3

I have had Siamese for the past 20 years, and initially picked the breed because a friend of mine had one, I love their personalities, they are very intelligent almost dog like, they understand what you are saying to them, and, most of all they are full of mischief!!
The exotics were chosen because I love Persians, but thier coats put me off....So got the short haired variety instead, they are very laid back, very easy cats to live with, but can also be very, very vocal,..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
02-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Of course this is the purrrfect place to ask this question that's been bugging me for a while!

What makes you choose a certain breed of cat, always assuming in the first place that you have a pedigree cat and not a dear old lovely moggie (like mine!). The variety in types is astounding I think, from the slightly built very short haired orientals to the powder puffs that are persians and, it seems all sorts in between.

Did you choose your particular breed just because their look appealed to you (all a matter of taste) or did you look for particular breed qualities such as temperament, robust health, etc.

Of course I have my own "favourites" but I'm not going to let on until you've told me your reasons..............

For me that would be exactly it, simply having a favourite, liking what you see. So if I did choose a pedigree it would be British blue firstly (I have always loved them, their colour, coat, eyes) Secondly a Bengal, because I love tabbies and lastly a Siamese as long as it looked like Mildred or Delilah, again because of my love of tabbies. (and the ears and being vocal and full of mischief)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
02-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #5

I have Siamese & Orientals (which of course are infact the same breed really) and moggies. I had moggies for over 20 years and had always fancied a pedigree cat at some point. I really liked Bengals purely down to their coat patterns but on looking into the breed further, I realised they would not be a great breed to introduce into a multicat household. I have friends that have Siamese and was really stunned by their personality, more like dogs than cats. I also knew I preferred the look of the more extreme typey Siamese and started to hanker after one. Further investigation into the breed and I discovered Orientals, whom I actually prefer to Siamese. They have the same temperament as the Siamese but I prefer the solid colours rather than the colourpoint pattern of the Siamese. If I were to have another breed, I'd love a Maine Coon or a British Shorthair, purely on looks more than temperament if I'm honest.

Thank you BC for your lovely comment about Mildred & Delilah

Catsey Veteran

03-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #6

Since I started this thread, I have been looking up different breeds on the web and I am now more confused that ever about how anyone could choose one breed over another!

Practical considerations first, I think my first criteria would be a short haired cat (because I am asthmatic) and I have lived with a short haired cat and don't find it a problem. So that rules out all the long haired breeds. I haven't looked at exotics yet Moli - don't know yet what they look like.

Then (please don't take offense lovers of Persians) I prefer cats with noses that stick out!

I am amazed at Bengals and Abyssinians - they are just lovely wild looking animals. I would love to try cuddling them to see how friendly they are! (Come on, get on with it - make a decision!) OK - at the moment it's a toss up between a Burmese (I knew a lovely Burmese once) and a Siamese (sorry Fran, I like the look of those light coloured ones with dark points - although I do love little Rudi). The Burmese is calling to me at the moment - do we have any Burmese owners on Catsey?????? Like to know more about them.

Thanks for your comments - it is, after all, just a matter of what you like the look of!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
03-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Since I started this thread, I have been looking up different breeds on the web and I am now more confused that ever about how anyone could choose one breed over another!

Practical considerations first, I think my first criteria would be a short haired cat (because I am asthmatic) and I have lived with a short haired cat and don't find it a problem. So that rules out all the long haired breeds. I haven't looked at exotics yet Moli - don't know yet what they look like.

Then (please don't take offense lovers of Persians) I prefer cats with noses that stick out!

I am amazed at Bengals and Abyssinians - they are just lovely wild looking animals. I would love to try cuddling them to see how friendly they are! (Come on, get on with it - make a decision!) OK - at the moment it's a toss up between a Burmese (I knew a lovely Burmese once) and a Siamese (sorry Fran, I like the look of those light coloured ones with dark points - although I do love little Rudi). The Burmese is calling to me at the moment - do we have any Burmese owners on Catsey?????? Like to know more about them.

Thanks for your comments - it is, after all, just a matter of what you like the look of!
My Merlin an an exotic Angela...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
03-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #8

Are you looking for a new edition Angieh????

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #9

One of our members, Shadowdh has a Burmese, Angie ........ he hasn't been on for a while unfortunately

Here's his thread when he introduced his beautiful cat to us..........

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...hlight=Burmese

Catsey Veteran

03-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #10

Thanks for the link Mags - that's one stunning looking cat! My heart did a pitty-pat looking at him!

I'm not looking for the moment BC - my Merlin is much too old to be troubled with a newcomer. Just thinking of the future perhaps!

Moli - do you know if there is historical connection between the BSH and exotic?