Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
14-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #1

Brushing a cat with fleas?

Just found out this morning that Thomas has fleas (yuk) so have de-flead both cats now using Stronghold. I just wondered if it would help or hinder if I was to give Thomas a good brush through?

I realise that the fleas will only die if they bite Thomas so I guess brushing would NOT be a good idea for another day or two - is that right?

It's just that he is scratching so much and I can see "things" on his fur and I just want to help him!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH
14-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #2

Re: Brushing a cat with fleas?

If you used a flea comb, you know the ones, well as you comb you should see the fleas on the comb, so you can get them and squish them Not nice but I suppose it would speed the process up. Just make sure you get the little critters.

You probably need to get some stuff to spray your house and make sure you get rid of any eggs & larva in carpets and such like.

Go get em !!!

Catsey Senior

14-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #3

hehe thanks Moofster, oh yes I'm going to get them YUKYUKYUK little horrors!

Poor kitties are looking for a place to sleep but all their bedding is on a 95 degree wash !!!!! *ahem* not that I'm freaking out or anything, but the next load going in is ALL our bedding on another 95 degree wash HAHA!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
14-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #4

When I treated Oli, I combed him atleast twice a day, every day until there was not one flea in sight. As a result of this, the fleas went and he attacks the flea comb whenever he sees it!

Catsey Senior

14-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #5

Washing them in very soapy water should kill them ! They also say when you've hovered up, if you have a bag in your hoover then stick it in a plastic bag, seal it and put it in the freezer, this will kill the blighters too

But as you know, they are mean little critters and I would defo recommend a spray for your bedding and stuff. I use Acclaim - heres a link, you can get it from your vets, cheaper on the net but of course you have to wait for delivery ! It lasts for 12mths so its well worth it. Sorry but it does kill spiders

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?mai...products_id=16

Catsey Senior

14-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #6

OH MY GOD :O

I just used the kids' nit comb (fleas & nits are as bad as each other DISGUSTING).. did Scrabble first and he has a few which I didn't realise but he's been treated anyway. I think I got the majority of the little blighters..

..BUT Thomas OH MY GOD HE IS ABSOLUTELY INFESTED I was practically sick when I was combing him through there are literally thousands of them on him I might have to just let the Stronghold take it's course on him as I just can't comb him through they are revolting poor kitty.. doesn't help that he is a black cat !

Catsey Senior

14-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #7

oh no poor baby - do you generally use a treatment, you know like frontline, which keeps them protected ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
14-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #8

I find Stronghold very effective and the fleas don't actually have to BITE for it to work. It seems to spread around on the skin surface as well as being absorbed into the bloodstream according to what I've read. This means that physical contact of any sort by the flea, just walking/jumping through the fur should see the little blighters off!

Catsey Senior

14-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #9

I feel TERRIBLE I have never de-flead them and have gone 10 years without getting fleas which is unbelievable really.. HOWEVER this has taught me a very valuable lesson, I will always always always, every month without fail, treat both cats as I am never putting my poor kitties through this again!

I applied the Stronghold at 2.30pm and the fleas are still alive.. shall I leave it till the morning and then comb Thomas through again then, hopefully they will all be dead won't they? Then I'll just be getting rid of the debris?

PS By the way THANK YOU ALL SO SO MUCH for all your help.. and for not shouting at me, I feel really irresponsible now but believe me, I have learnt my lesson the VERY hard way!

Catsey Senior

14-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #10

awww dont feel bad, the fact that you have asked about this shows that you are a caring mum If you never had them before then, well its natural to think you dont need to bother about treatments.

I know its a rotten job but I would have a go at combing him - stand him on an old sheet, that you can throw away. Any that you find alive, squish them until they pop, get them on a flat surface and use the back of your nail to flatten em. Sorry to be so graphic. It would be best if you can do this is a spare room and keep him away from your other cat until things are cleared up. The fact that Scrabble has some treatment on him will also help, but its best to keep them seperate.

awww hugs all round and it will soon be sorted !!!