Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #1

I'm getting so afraid for Merlin

Sorry - I've been bottling this one up until after the festivities are over.

Dear old Merlin - I did wonder before Christmas whether he'd make it through. It's just old age, I think. He doesn't seem to be in pain, although his hind legs are obviously a bit stiff. He totters about a bit unsteadily and hugs the heater. I am still waiting for the Snugglesafe to be delivered - hope it comes soon. He is eating reasonably well - in fact cleaning his plate, so very well really. He drinks (I still don't think unreasonably much) and I am putting some warm boiled water in his food. He takes his Metacam every day and also some lactulose (although I am giving these meds with separate feeds). He has poo'd today - does not do so daily. He is bright eyed and still seems interested in what is going on outside the window. Sleeps a lot and curls up in a normal cat position.

It's just that he has lost a lot of weight - when I pick him up to cuddle him, he feels like a bag of bones. His coat is reasonably good and on occasion still feels lovely and silky. Basically, it's his frailty that I find upsetting and really I am asking your experienced reassurance that hanging on is the best thing to do. I would have no hesitation if I thought he was in any pain or distress - but I really don't think he is.

I will do what's right for Merlin but after 21 years of loving him and being loved back, it's such a hard thing to do.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
02-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #2

Re: I'm getting so afraid for Merlin

I dont think there are many of us here that have not been in the same position as you at one time or another. ((((((((()))))))) Hugs.

You will know when his time has come. Take your Vets advise. Keep an eye on him. As you say you dont think he's in any pain. He will let you know when he's had enough.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
02-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #3

After 21 years, nobody knows him better than you do. You and Merlin are soul mates.
If you are worried about his weight loss maybe a wee visit to the vet will help you have a little better understanding of what may be going on.
Is it actually weight or muscle tone he is losing? Is he still fairly active? As active as any normal 21 yr old cat would be, is what i mean. At his age it is not uncommon for his bowels not to move daily. A vet told me when Winston was alive not to worry unless he hasnt pooped for more than 3 days.
I am not a vet but he does sound like he is doing well for his age.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH
02-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #4

oh bless you and sweet Merlin, he sounds a peach

I can only endorse what has been said above. It sounds like he has a great quality of life for his age, he is loved and cared for and gets all he needs. I suppose his frailty is only to be expected at his age and if he can still get about to do what he needs to do without any pain or stress then things sound good to me.

I understand your concerns I have two 14 yr olds, which I know are younger than Merlin, but we worry about them.

So heres a few ((((hugs)))) for you and some chin tickles for Merlin. We are all here for you both !!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
02-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #5

I agree with the above posts that noone knows him better than you and you will know when the time is right.
If he was in pain I think you wouldn't be hesitating but a trip to the vets may put your mind at ease.
Embrace your time together and as long as you feel you have done all that you can to make him comfortable than that's alll that matters. Big hugs to you both X

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
02-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #6

Awww you poor thing, I remember exactly how that feels and I send both you and the lovely Merlin lots of (((HUGS))). My dear Dutchess found my parents the same year I was born and she didn't pass until I was 24 :O we just couldn't believe she lived to such a ripe old age. So I truly understand what you are going through.

After all these years, I echo what the others have said, you know Merlin like the back of your hand, you will know when he is in pain and you will know when the time comes. But, again as the others have mentioned, if you feel a trip to the vets might put your mind at rest then it might be well worth it, even just to ensure that he is in no pain.

Lots of cuddles for the gorgeous Merlin xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
02-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #7

Hiya

So sorry o read your post it is a heartbreaker isn't it old age, but yet not really because you have had 21 years with your gorgeous Merlin so can't be sorry for that.

My Oscar was the same and I "fussed" worried for a few months then settled down, and decided I would just know when the thought entered my head he was just "getting through the day" no more no less. Then that would be the time and it was his frailty that finaly told e the time was right. Same with Cleo nothing more than just being worn out neither were ill ie throwing up) neither were in pain, or discomfort. Neither were not aware of their surrondings, nor not eating or drinking, neither was to anyone other than me "anything" but older cats. But to me I knew the time had come and I have to say in both of their cases I am pleased I had them PTS when I did, as their time was just coming to the edge where I would not have had a choice and they could had moved swiflty toward pain/discomfort/loss of being okay with their world. Age allows that to happen swiftly, my cats knew nothing but kindness and "security" they trusted in their own way me to do what was best for them and I choose to have them PTS - yes i broke my heart on one level but knowing in my heart I had made the right descision helped a lot.

It is easy in one respect to make a descison when your cat is ill, in pain etc but not so easy in fact almost impossible when the main factor is old age.

I could be wrong however in your post it sounds as if you are asking for someone to "you're right the time has come to let him go" well that no one can do but I WILL say to you.
From the description, and heartbreak I hear in your post
then I can only say Yes I would (and have) make the descision to have him PTS.

So sorry if I am miles off track here, and thats not what you want to hear but there is no cure for old age. But would you want one, for 21 years Merlin has been part of your life adn you his - you wouldn't want to loose that and you never wil but in the process you have both got older and sadly cats do not live out length of span. But it does mean you can share you heart with more cats who can benefit from your love.

Again I do not wish to offend so please ignore me if I am wrong.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #8

Do put your mind at rest Karen - you are quite right. Thanks for your words - not exactly comforting but you obviously know exactly what I'm feeling. Thanks so much.

Angie

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
02-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #9

Angie, whatever you decide you know you will be making that decision out of love.

Kazz once told me that one of the most precious gifts you can give a pet is to let them go with dignity and rather a day too early rather than a day too late.

I think you will know when the time is right.

Take care, it is a very hard decision you will have to make.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Angie, whatever you decide you know you will be making that decision out of love.

Kazz once told me that one of the most precious gifts you can give a pet is to let them go with dignity and rather a day too early rather than a day too late.

I think you will know when the time is right.

Take care, it is a very hard decision you will have to make.
That is a hard truth, but truth nonetheless. Only you will know when that time is, Angie; thinking of you, (((hugs))) and a scritch to Merlin.....