Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
18-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #1

VENT! ignorance surrounds me!

i apologize in advance for this vent.

i try really hard not to be annoyed by ignorance, miseducation, and assumptions...
but it is seriously so hard when everywhere i go, it seems to surround me (which is also very sad in this day and age).

i went to my dialectical behavior therapy class today (DBT for short)..
and this woman was complaining about when she attended a friend's child's holiday concert last week..it went something like this...

"they sang a song about hannukah!! why don't they sing something AMERICAN??? like christmas songs?!!!"

OKAY. (DEEP BREATH)

first of all, does this woman really believe christmas is american?
second, shouldn't she know that both are believed to be originated from the same place/source?

NOW, i am neither christian nor jewish nor do i wish to start a debate about christianity or juddaism...
but wasn't her comment and assumption just completely offensive on several levels???

maybe i am just sensitive about this issue because my past traumas have been committed by ignorant and miseducated people..maybe it hit something raw because i associate this type of thought with something else...
but it just really hit a raw nerve with me.

(end of furious rant...sorry)

Tink

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
18-12-2007, 10:23 PM   #2

Re: VENT! ignorance surrounds me!

Sorry to laugh Tink but sometimes these things just tickle me. There are many Americans, my appologies to our friends from across the pond, that beleive that America discovered/invented everything.
Ignorance is every where not just the USA, its sad, its annoying but I am glad you all like me anyway

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
18-12-2007, 10:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine

Sorry to laugh Tink but sometimes these things just tickle me. There are many Americans, my appologies to our friends from across the pond, that beleive that America discovered/invented everything.
Ignorance is every where not just the USA, its sad, its annoying but I am glad you all like me anyway
i know, it's people like this that make me embarassed to say i'm american. for god's sake, do some traveling...read a book...grrrrrr.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #4

Boggles the mind, doesn't it? Don't they teach anything in school anymore? That woman was displaying nativism, bigotry and just out and out stupidity! It's enough to make you shudder that there are thousands and thousands of people like that out there like her.....and they don't even realize they're displaying their ignorance...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #5

Don't let these things annoy you Tink, just smile at other people's ignorance ......... you know better than

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
18-12-2007, 11:50 PM   #6

*hugs* Tink, that lady is showing some ignorance there lol. I think I would have reacted the same whether I had past issues or not, some things just beggar belief.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
20-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #7

Tink, I am surrounded by ignorance, bigotry and prejudice on a nearly daily basis. I now look at the people and smile. In my mind I'm thinking poor you. To be stuck in ignorance must be a dreadful fate.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #8

Jac said "Tink, I am surrounded by ignorance, bigotry and prejudice on a nearly daily basis. I now look at the people and smile. In my mind I'm thinking poor you. To be stuck in ignorance must be a dreadful fate."

I agree, well said Jac! [Why can't I seem to do the quote message in reply bit?] It's a real shame that ignorance seems to get passed down.

We sympathise Tink.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh

I agree, well said Jac! [Why can't I seem to do the quote message in reply bit?] It's a real shame that ignorance seems to get passed down.

We sympathise Tink.
Angie, click on "Quote" first on the post you want to answer.

If you want to refer to two separate posts in your reply, just click on "Multi-quote"..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Angie, click on "Quote" first on the post you want to answer.

If you want to refer to two separate posts in your reply, just click on "Multi-quote"..
Thanks Mags - at least my ignorance won't be passed on!!!