Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
13-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #1

help wanted

I arrived home from shopping today, and greeting me was a very thin starving cat...I have taken her in home fed her ..2 pouches cat food...Im thinking of taking her to the vet to have her checked out,and keeping her.. ,my cat Millie is 12 years old what would be the best way of intoducing them so they dont fight and she chases the stranger away..any other advice would be helpful

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
13-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #2

Re: help wanted

John, I think you should keep the cats separate for the time being, for both their sakes! You need to get this kitty checked out at the vets and tested for all manner of diseases to make sure Millie isn't exposed to anything she needn't be.

Only then should introductions be carried out very slowly and gently; exchange of scents with you/them, gradual/supervised short exposure to each other initially and slowly building up their time together. Please don't let the new kitty out as you may not find her again.

Oh, and well done you for taking the kitty on - hopefully she will reward you with many years of love and affection

Catsey Senior

John is Male
13-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #3

I gave a bit of thought to the disease/illness problem and contacted and took her to the vet..its an old cat and probable suffering from a thyroid problem..and other illnesses talking to the vet I decided to leave it there with them...my cat Millie is also suffering from a thyroid problem which is costing me £20 approx every 6 weeks..I cant afford to have two cats with the prblem,shame really because she was a very friendly cat...

john

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #4

Maybe she is someone's cat. The thyroid problem could be the reason she looks a little thin, and hungry.

Hopefuly she is loved and her owner will go and find her. May be worth putting a notice up in the local shop to say you found her and where she is.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
13-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #5

Are you able to check that the vet will not destroy her or hand her over to a shelter (such as RSPCA) who do have a policy of destroying healthy cats that can't be rehomed

As Karen says, I hope she is someone's cat and they can be reunited soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
13-11-2007, 07:04 PM   #6

Wonder if the vet thought to check for a microchip?

Catsey Senior

John is Male
13-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #7

The vet checked for a microchip.there was none..I will put up a couple of notices tomorrow..I asked the vets if they would let it go to Bath Cats and Dogs home as they will not put a healthy animal down ..if it has to be pts it may be a good thing for her as she was VERY thin and boney and not at all well

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #8

Now we may disagree over that, My Oscar was very thin and boney due to his kidney disorder but in himself he was well - you had to know him but IF and I do mean IF she is someone's cat, say mine then I would be heartbroken not knowing what had happened.
It could be of course she is a stray, it possible. But also could be a cat whose owner has moved and got a little "lost" or a cat who is so sure of being loved/helped by people made her way to you, whereas she could of been on her way home.

But at least you did something. Which was a kind thing to do.
Karen

Catsey Senior

John is Male
14-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #9

Hi Karen...the cat was basicaly a bag of bones and very scruffy and dirty..but I have put a notice up in the local shop..at least where she is it is warm and she is being fed

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
14-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Hi Karen...the cat was basicaly a bag of bones and very scruffy and dirty..but I have put a notice up in the local shop..at least where she is it is warm and she is being fed
So was Vienna when she was found wandering the streets.