Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 1 tabby and 1 ginger/white moggy
31-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #1

Bad Breath - Help!

Hello all,

Sorry if there's already been some posts on this topic - I've just joined and had a quick look and couldn't find any.

I'm hoping someone can give me some tips on getting rid of bad breath - the cat's, not mine

We have two cats but only one has bad breath - he's somewhere between 5-8 years old and we've had him for just over a year from Battersea Dog's Home. I love him dearly but he does have really bad breath - I can smell him from the other end of the sofa when he starts washing!

He won't eat any cat treats etc so I can't give him any breath treatments - the only things he'll eat are his pouches, cat biscuits under duress and ham. The only thing I have read is that it can just be from tartar on his teeth so I'm wondering if we should take him to the vets for a clean - I can barely get him to eat his worming tablet let alone try to clean them myself - but I don't really want him to be sedated if not necessary. The vet didn't mention anything at his yearly check-up so maybe I should just learn to put up with it?

Any advice gratefully received

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
31-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #2

Re: Bad Breath - Help!

He could need some dental treatment, or as you say a clean up.....He may have gingervitis which will make his breath very smelly, I would get the vet to check his mouth...
Welcome to Catsey.....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
31-10-2007, 02:48 PM   #3

Has he had his teeth checked by the vet?

Bad breath can be the first sign of dental problems so it may be worthwhile getting them checked.

Something I use for my cat, is a product called "Aquadent". It goes into the water, has no smell or taste, but contains enzymes to help break down and stop the tartar from forming, and also helps with bad breath.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
31-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #4

He might need a clean, or he might even have 'something' stuck between his teeth which needs dislodging.
Once your vet has given him the all-clear you could think of geting PlaqueOff for him - I've found it works wonders for my smelly-breathed boy
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?mai...ducts _id=298

EDIT - sorry - should have said welcome!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
31-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #5

Warm wlecome to Catsey! I really would urge you to get the vet to look in his mouth. It could be a number of things but often bad breath is linked to teeth and gum problems. Do let us know how you get on

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
31-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #6

It is usually a sign of tooth decay. I use a lamb (they do chicken and beef also) toothpaste which I squirt a little of into the cats' mouths. It produces enzymes which remove the plaque. One of mine especially, suffered from bad breath the problem has reduced somewhat and the vet actually said that his teeth are in excellent condition (he's 10 1/2)!!

I think the paste is called Logic and costs about £10.

Cats owned: 1 tabby and 1 ginger/white moggy
31-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #7

Thanks for all the advice guys - he's booked in for Saturday so I shall let you know the outcome. Now we just have to get him into the carrier......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
31-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahB
Now we just have to get him into the carrier......

And that's a whole other story I bet (I think we've all mostly been there LOL)!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
31-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #9

Hiya SarahB, welcome to Catsey

I echo the others here, bad breath is most commonly down to plaque or bad teeth - some cats seem more prone to it than others.

My girl Bubbles just went through a dental and had a couple of teeth removed. While I was scared stiff for her, she came through absolutely fine and is much happier in herself - we hadn't realised just how much her teeth had been bothering her.

The nurse at her check up mentioned Plaque off as an ongoing aid to keep her teeth clean from now on (as have several members here).

Also thanks DiM - I have been looking for a link for Plaque off and you just solved it for me

Anyway, good luck - let us know how he gets on and we'd love to see some pics of your two

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
31-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #10

Welcome to Catsey.

Hope he is ok on Saturday and that the carrier doesn't prove to be that much of a problem. It definitely sounds like a dental problem and needs investigating.