Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Lexi & Eddie
10-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #1

Best flea treatment

Hi all

We are still having problems with fleas so I am just after some advice as to the best stuff to use on the cats.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
10-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #2

Re: Best flea treatment

Maybe you should look to treat the environment rather than the cats? (I always think it sounds horrid to tell people that their house may be infected but all of us with cats know that 4 legs can bring 6 very easily ) There's a saying that for every flea you find on the cat there are 20 somewhere in your carpet etc
Something like Acclaim or Staykill is supposed to keep your house clear for 12 months.
Once the environment is flea-free you can use Frontline or another spot treatment for the cats.
Good luck!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
10-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #3

Frontline spray from the vets.

Acclaim to treat the environment.

sotred!

Catsey Junior

10-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #4

I hate to tell you all this but we've used Acclaim on the entire house as well as hot washing anything material based and I've used the spray and spot on frontline and we STILL have fleas!!! I used the spray first and have used the spot on twice since.

Our first baby is due xmas day and I really want the house flea free before then and any chemicals (eg Acclaim) to have long settled by then, if you get what I mean.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
10-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #5

Definitely Frontline for the cats, although I use the spot on due to my asthma and Acclaim for the house. This should sort the little pests out.

Catsey Veteran

10-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #6

Sorry for the above we must hav been posting at the same time.
You could try and get the council to come out and fumigate the house or buy a flea bomb and do it yourself. They are very good but you have to be out of the house for a while because of the fumes.
Try the program injection for the cats from your vet.
Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
10-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #7

Check whether Staykill is the same chemical as Acclaim - maybe your fleas are resistant to Acclaim?
Or there's this new stuff - Skoosh http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?mai...ucts_ id=1122
Non-toxic, it uses a sort of silicone to which coats the beasties and prevents them functioning.
There are tablets to kill the fleas on the cats too. Program (from the vets only I think) and something called ?Capstar. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used these.

When my vet was convinced Bentley had a flea allergy (he hadn't!) he was telling me that fleas are becoming immune to Frontline . They would, wouldn't they! Your vet could give you Stronghold 'spot-on', but you'd still need to get the house clear. Have you got a Dyson vaccuum? I'm sure mine helps keep the house clear - very powerful, I think it would suck up any eggs/larvae/adults lurking.

If all else fails you'll have to think about the fume-bomb, but I'm sure you'd rather not, at this time with the baby due

Catsey Veteran

10-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #8

I have Capstar in the cupboard permanently it is brilliant for using alongside Frontline etc as it isn't a preventative. It kills all fleas within 24 hours and really works well. I get from wormers .co.uk as they are cheaper than the vets.

It might be worth you getting some Capstar as this would kill the fleas that are on the cat but you would still need to keep up with the Frontline and clearing the enviroment.

Catsey Junior

10-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #9

So if I was to use Capstar, let the fleas die in 24 hours and then put the spot on frontline on, that may work?

And use acclaim again on the house? We only used Acclaim about 6 weeks ago, is that not a preventative? Even if the cats had got fleas again would the fleas stay in the house despite Acclaim being there? Does that make sense?

Catsey Junior

10-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #10

I just had a look on wormers.co.uk and I can buy the capstar, frontline and house spray all on there so thats good.

Acclaim has Methoprene and Permethrin but staykill has Cyromazine and Permethrin so maybe its worth trying the Staykill this time. Or both!!