Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
19-08-2007, 11:20 AM   #1

career dilema

Just wondered what your thoughts were as I'm in a dilema & don't know what to do!

I've worked for the same employer for 15 years & I love my job.

However I have seen another job advertised with a cat charity & am pondering over applying, I think it would be a good job & it is for a cause I am passionate about.

My husband feels strongly that I shouldn't apply & thinks I've gone mad.

I don't know what to do.

Help!

Thoughts please.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-08-2007, 11:27 AM   #2

Re: career dilema

Think, think, talk, and think again.
I can see plusses, not the least being that a change in career can be really revitalising and give your whole life, in and out of work, a boost.
Set against that - worst case scanario .... you change, you start, you get to know the new job - and you hate it You look back and wish you'd never moved. How will you cope? That's very much down to your character. If it was me I would buckle down and bloody make it work but different people react differently.
You can make a list of plusses and minuses, then weight them and see what logic produces, but you have to go with your own instincts.

Anyway - apply now. You can do all the agonising later when/if you are offered it.
And it will give your current employer a wake up call - you may end up with an internal promotion/pay rise anyway.

Good luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
19-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #3

I'd stick an application in anyway. If you get as far as the interview (and I dont see why you wouldn't) Remember your interviewing them as much as they you. If you feel the job isn't right then nothing lost. If however you feel it's ideal then go for it. Hubby will come round to your way of thinking.
If you decide you dont want the job, then fine too. You wont have that nagging question at the back of your head "what if". As DH said it may give your currant employers a kick up the bum and offer you a great pay rise.
Keep us posted and good luck with whatever you decide.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
19-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #4

I would at least go and talk to them, regardless of what anyone else tells you to do. Why is your OH dead set against you applying?

Its your life!

Catsey Veteran

19-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I would at least go and talk to them, regardless of what anyone else tells you to do. Why is your OH dead set against you applying?

Its your life!
Well, he knows I have security & a stable job which I enjoy. He feels Guide Dogs is a good employer & he is worried about me entering into the unknown & regretting it. He says I have worked hard to get whereI am & I shouldn't throw that away for a charity I know little about.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
19-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #6

I am probably not the best person to advise as I constantly jump from the frying pan and into the fire
But I can see no harm in applying and looking into the post and charity a bit more closely before making a final decision.
Good luck what ever you decide xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #7

Some sound and well reasoned advice above. I'm the wrong person to weigh in on this: stayed in the same job for 39 years, only left because the business was sold and moved! I am not an adventurous person and preferred the stability and security where I was, not to mention a good salary. Only you can decide on this, whatever you do, best wishes!!

Catsey Veteran

19-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #8

Thanks all for your advice.

I will continue pondering but as my hubby thinks it would be the wrong move, I may just take his word & carry on doing what I do.

The other factor is that my mate is applying for it too, which could be awkward.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
19-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #9

What is it about the other job that appeals so much? because as you say you have stability and history with guide dogs so maybe you could see what "appeals" so much about the other job and then speak to your immediate boss or above and suggest moving into a similar area within guide dogs like a secondment maybe? but within guide dogs?

Just a thought because as much as I consider doing toher things I have been with my company for 22 years and can' t see me changing as I have security,history, and basicaly I like them.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #10

I t will be difficult if Mr S is against this, as he will need to be there to support you should the cat charity job go belly-up. However, I think you should ask him to sleep on this and have another think. It's a bit 'ultra-controlling' to dismiss your life-partner's wish to consider a change - ask him to think how he would feel if he found what he thought was an exciting new venture and you poo-pooed it? Doesn't sound like John. Is he very change-averse?
Your mate going for the same job is neither here nor there. The selection panel will see who they wish to see and appoint who they think will fit the bill.

No harm in bashing in an application. It doesn't commit anyone.

If you always do what you've always done , you'll always get what you always got.