Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #1

Eva has cystitis

I knew there was something not quite right about my girl yesterday so have been monitoring her. She is eating as normal, havent wittnessed her drinking but have put out extra bowls of water. She went to the litter tray several times, she squatted for a while and bolted out (she always bolts out of the box) but there was only a small drop every time. She is not crying in pain and there doesnt seem to be any blood.
Now my vet is open for emergencies today between 10 and 11.30. Will they consider this an emergency? I know its an emergency for male cats but is it considered the same for females?
I dont really want to get her in there unnecessarily, by that I mean she gets so stressed which wont help.
Was thinking of ringing them and asking if they can give me something to make her a little more comfortable until I can get a urine sample from her. How long can you keep a urine sample? What is the best way to store it? I ask because it may take some time before I can get it and the vet will then be closed till the morning.
Does that sound like a reasonable request or should I be pannicing more?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
01-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #2

Re: Eva has cystitis

I hope eva is ok. I know its a problem for male cats as guinness has it i dont know about female cats though. I would phone your vet up and ask his advice.

jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
01-07-2007, 09:40 AM   #3

I'd go for the phoning the vets and seeing what they say Elaine! Have no idea about the storing of urine samples, they will give you the best advice. ((hugs)) 'cause I bet you're worried stiff now (you do know she's doing this to punish you for having gone on holiday!!)

Catsey Veteran

01-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #4

She really does upset herself when any of us go away, bless her. She used to get the runs terrible but remember this may all be linked to her being over weight too.
Which reminds me, I must weigh her and see if Graham over fed her while I was away.
I am worried but I know they need a urine sample to determine the best course of action which is why I am worried about stressing her further about taking her in only
to be told that and sent home again.
Anyway better go get dressed and get the carrier out just incase.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
01-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #5

I would ring the Vet Elaine. They'll be able to answer all your questions. What harm will it do? None what so ever. Let us know what he/she says.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
01-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #6

I would ring the vet too and see what they suggest. Good luck and I hope she is okay.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
01-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #7

Poor Eva Give the vets a ring Elaine and let us know what they say...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #8

Hope all is well no idea about urine samples etc. Ring the vets I hope all goes well. Karen

Catsey Veteran

01-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #9

Ok £65 later.......
She has had an anti inflamatory injection and an anti biotic, I have also been given some cystaid capsules to put into her food.
She now wieghs 7.1 kilos so Graham wont be in the dog house for that one Vet was very pleased with the progress we are making in reducing her weight.
As she is over weight and a stressy cat this is going to be something that will crop up more often now.
Vet also said that cystitis is more common in females but not nearly as life threatening as it is in males.
Oh and for the first time ever, she REALLY bit me

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #10

Glad she is okay.
She must feel rough Elaine, never had cystitis but have had a kidney infection and I would have bitten someone

Pleased she is loosing weight nicely. She wll be fine.