Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
28-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #1

Collars?

We had a collar for Patch before (which has now dissapeared somewhere in our house!) but we had lots of trouble making him wear it. He used to try and get his bottom jaw underneath it and many times it got stuck and he was choking, not a nice sight or sound!!

but he goes outside regularly and we really want him to wear a collar so does anyone have any suggestions? what type of collars are good? would be willing to buy a collar off the internet if it's funky and safe

Jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
28-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #2

Re: Collars?

Jane, any pet shop should have a stack of them. I would suggest one that has a safty trigger that if the cat gets caught in something like a tree it opens.

Catsey Senior

28-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #3

The one we had before (and is probably still laying around somewhere) had a bit of elastic on it incase he got stuck, but is that enough? I've seen some breakaway ones on the internet but can't seem to find any in pet shops?

Any tips on how to get him to wear it?? Silly thing, but don't want him to get it stuck on his jaw whilst we're all sleeping and him like die or something.

ooh, I like http://www.kittycollars.co.uk what do you think of them?? Might get one

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
28-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #4

OOhh I like them too. I would say a getting a jaw caught would warrant a snap open.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #5

These collars are lovely, I can recommend them as Cassie has one....and they have the safety catch on them.

The company is owned by one of our members........

http://www.kittycatboutique.co.uk/ca...php?category=1

Catsey Senior

28-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #6

Will have a look there Mags, thank you.

The only thing is we're worried about him getting his jaw caught again....any tips? Should we maybe put it on in the day whilst he's in the house at first and not leave it on at night incase it happens until we're confident or will that not work? Any tips are great.

Global Moderator

28-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane
Will have a look there Mags, thank you.

The only thing is we're worried about him getting his jaw caught again....any tips? Should we maybe put it on in the day whilst he's in the house at first and not leave it on at night incase it happens until we're confident or will that not work? Any tips are great.
I would get him used to wearing it in the house first before you let him wear it out doors.

The safety catch collar snaps undone when any 'pressure' is put on the collar....... if the collar caught on a branch of a tree for instance, once the cat pulls away the collar would immediately come apart. They are definately a lot safer than the elastic collars as there would be no way for him to get it over his jaw again (no elastic!).

Catsey Senior

28-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #8

No way for him to get it over his jaw?? Are you pretty sure of that? If there is almost on chance I think we will DEFINATELY get one, the only thing worrying us is it this happens again.

I'm loving these two;
http://www.kittycatboutique.co.uk/ca...26category%3D1
http://www.kittycatboutique.co.uk/ca...cate gory%3D2
Do you think they're boyish enough for our little guy?

Global Moderator

28-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #9

Here is a pic of Cassie's collar...........you can see the snap clasp better .....also you can see there is no elastic anywhere so he would be unable to stretch it onto his jaw.......

Catsey Senior

28-06-2007, 09:02 PM   #10

Think we'll get one, will talk to it about mum and dad later!

Thank you very much, I'm sure Patch wont appreciate it but hey, will be a lot happier with him having one!

Anyone know where we can get some pretty tags from?