Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Bengal
24-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #1

What should I do ? New kittens ill

Hi everyone Im new to this forum and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice please.
I bought 2 bengal kittens just over a week ago, and within a day they both got diahorrea I thought it might of been the upset of moving , but then one of them was sick aswell and developed quite a bad eye infection practically overnight. I took them to the vets and the vet gave me some eye drops for him and said that the other kitten was fine and to bring the ill one back in 5 days. The vet also said they had worms as their stomachs are quite bloated I have now treated them for that. That day I rang the breeder and told her , all she really said was they are sensitive animals and she was sorry they were ill and that she had always wormed them. His eyes havent got worse but they havent got better either and he still has diahorrea. I am taking him back to the vets on wednesday.
I know that the breeders cats did have eye infections a few weeks ago as it delayed us in collecting our kittens because they couldnt have their 2nd vaccinatin done.Until it had cleared up. Any suggestions would be great.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #2

Re: What should I do ? New kittens ill

How old are they?
What are you feeding them?
What did the breeder feed them?
Are they bright in themselves - playing, grooming?
Are they looking for food?
Are they drinking?

Sorry to answer your questions with more questions but the answers will help.

24-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #3

They are 4 months old , the vet told me to feed them cooked chicken and white fish for a week and then I could put them on any food I liked after that, the breeder fed them whiskas (dry food),the one with the eye infection doesnt run around as much as the other one but they both always eat their food and drink water. They play together .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #4

I'd agree with the vet and restrict them to invalid food (boiled chicken or white fish) in lots of tiny meals till their tummies settle. With an older cat I'd say starve them for 24 hours (other than having fresh water available at all times) to get rid of the tummy problems. You may not want to try this with your babies as it will be tough on them and on you
If Wednesday is the end of the current course of eye drops I'd continue with them and just take the kit back to the vet on Wednesday as planned. If it gets worse I'd get an urgent appointment.

I forgot to say welcome to Catsey. Hope you'll stick around and tell us more about your new babies. It must be disappointing for you to have these problems as soon as you bring them home, after you had been looking forward to the fun side of pet-keeping.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
24-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #5

You have done the right thing by taking them to the Vet. I would aso maybe bath there eyes with some saline water between the eye drops.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
24-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #6

hmm, I suspect the breeder is telling a few porkies here! I would go with what your vet advises you to do. but please be warned, I had an exotic kitten who came to me with all sorts of problems and it has taken almost a year to get her to the point of normality! Hopefully your kittens will perk up much more quickly though.

24-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #7

Thanks for your replies. I suspected the breeder could possibly be lying about worming. How can i prove this? Its obvious the kitten was ill before he came to us as its pretty unlikely that this would happen the first day we got him home. If this is the case what can i do??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
24-06-2007, 10:59 AM   #8

I had a similar problem when I got my little bengal. You could report her. Did you get a pedigree and registration certificate. Is she a registered breeder?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
24-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #9

Regarding the breeder not sure you can do anythin g, I would just worm them and bathe their eyes, keep an eye on them, and if at all worried, take them back to the vet...

24-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #10

She is a registered breeder and we are awaiting pedigree and registration docs from her. Another annoying thing is that she tells us that they both had their vaccinations but we only have proof of one but we are not even sure that the cards belong to our cats as there is no description or name on the card. A pretty bad experience all round.