Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
17-05-2007, 10:22 PM   #1

Blackster has a malformed spine.

As some of you may know if you have been reading my updates on the kittens, Blackster (the black girl from the older litter) has had trouble with her back legs, particularly one foot.

Ever since birth she has had a sort of kink in her fur on her back, the fur doesn't sit straight like the rest of her coat, it's not as noticeable now she's so fluffy, but it was more so when she was younger. Anyway I just assumed it a funny quirk and never thought anything of it. Even with her leg problems I didn't think it was related.

Anyway this evening she had fell asleep on my chest as I was giving her a cuddle, and I was stroking her back and felt something very odd with her spine. This is going to sound very perculiar, but when running your finger down her spine, it feels as though it splits in two and forms an 'o' shape, and then joins back together and carries on as normal to her tail. Her tail also has a kink in it halfway down. Where this malformation in the spine is, is exactly where her coat has the tuft in it. It's obviously something that has occured whilst she was growing inside the womb, I have no idea what will happen from here or even what age kittens can have x-rays? She uses one of her back legs fine, and the other she can use ok apart from the foot. She certainly isn't bothered at all by it and gets around quick enough! I'll be ringing the vets in the morning to make an appointment and see what they say. I'm obviously very worried about her future, I have no idea what the outcome will be for her.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this at all before? I just want to get her to the vet asap and find out where we go from here.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #2

Re: Blackster has a malformed spine.

I have never heard of anything like that before Random, I hope the vet will be able to reassure you about her. ((((hugs))))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #3

I am wondering if it might be some sort of spinabifida?? Not sure if this is something that occurs in cats. Please let us know what the vet says and I have everything crossed that she is going to be ok x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-05-2007, 10:34 PM   #4

I haven't heard of anything like this either....The vet will hopfully be able to tell you...Hope she is goingh to be ok.....

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
17-05-2007, 11:16 PM   #5

I hope she will be OK (((HUGS))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
18-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #6

Never heard of it before Random, though obviously cats can have birth defects just as humans can, Hope the vet can put your mind at rest xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
18-05-2007, 10:12 AM   #7

Like the others I have never heard of this either, I hope the Vet will be able to help ((((((hugs)))))) x

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggies
18-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #8

I havent heard of anything like this either but I am sure it wont be too disastrous as she seems to be in good health and able to get around ok... chin up think positive thoughts xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
18-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #9

Thinking ans sending positive thoughts to the wee one. Hope it's nothing too seriouse although she seem's to be fine in every other way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #10

Like Fran, I thought 'spina bifida' as I read your description.
You'll obviously get vet advice and I hope that will point to a good/almost normal quality of life for her, without any veterinary intervention.