Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
09-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #1

Blair to announce standing down tomorrow - memories?

Well, apparently, Tony Blair will announce his standing down from the Labour leadership tomorrow. He is keen to have a legacy'. What do you remember/think he will be remembered for?

Well, I remember the election night. I remember counting, on a hot sultry night - just like we had last week for the voting. I remember the shouts of triumph which went up from the VIP/visitors/press room, as the Portillo result was announced (didn't see it live; haven't sen a live general election broadcast for years - next time though!)
I remember driving home about 5am, a beautiful pink morning, the car radio was on and TB was doing his victory broadcast - "it is a new dawn, is it not...?"
I remember seeing Cherie, looking wrecked, coming to their door to accept a floral delivery.
I remember being pleased that we were no longer in thrall to Ian Paisley because of the tiny majority Major was trying to govern with.
I remember the amazement that a serving PM was having a baby!

Legacy
Freedom for the Bank of England (good)
Economic stability (good)
Minimum wage (good)
Northern Ireland (good, but started by Major and Ahern and accelerated by 9/11 - I think the tuppeny-halfpenny freedom fighters/gangsters realised they weren't in the same league .... also, the Yanks woke up and stopped funding the IRA through Noraid)
Iraq (just so bad ................. at the beginning I gave him the benefit of the doubt, thinking that he was bargaining with Bush to actually get something done, once and for all, on the Israel/Palestine issue ......... but no. Just the biggest foreign policy disaster since who knows when?)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
09-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #2

Re: Blair to announce standing down tomorrow - memories?

I recall him coming t power very clearly a New Dawn, so to speak I recall all of the above DM has mentioned however I also recall his speech when Diana died and how he seemed to capture the public spitit back then - hard to bring it to mind now the tidal wave that swept through the Country.

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #3

I am not keen on Gordon Brown don't know why... just not.

One thing I have noticed well seemed to notice is that we have a strong pm like her or not Thatcher who was followed by John Major then Blair now Brown it seems we seem to go from Lull/staid to exciting/motivating.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
09-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #4

I think obviously the biggest thing he'll be remembered for is Iraq. It's a shame as I think know how people feel it's totally tarnished everything about him and Labour after this.

The biggest thing I remember personally is when he and Bush were in a pub in my area (as his home is very close to where I live), the area was frantic as it was at a bad time not long after the London bombings and there was speculation that the ICI would be bombed in an attempt to assasinate both Blair and Bush. When I think back now it sounds ridiculous but at the time is was somehow feesable with all that was going on then.

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2007, 09:39 PM   #5

I always thought he worked well with Clinton, the relationship with Bush has never been the same but Bush reminds me of Lord whats his name the USA president when Thatcher was in power....the actor.....Regan....not much of a public speaker whereas I always thought, Blair and Clinton were much more "off the cuff/capable" of fending of or answerig questions.

I wonder how we will see Iraq in 20 years time or will we still be there or will it turn into a Vietnam

Karen

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
One thing I have noticed well seemed to notice is that we have a strong pm like her or not Thatcher who was followed by John Major then Blair now Brown it seems we seem to go from Lull/staid to exciting/motivating.
Mmm, GB can't compare with TB but I don't think your analagy holds if we're going to move to Cameron Kazz. (which we quite possibly are) Don't find him an exciting prospect at all ... just a sort of pale imitation of Blair. (and I remember him lurking in the background on the TV shot as Norman Lamont tried to explain why the mortgagge rate would be 15% He was Lamont's advisor. Scary!)

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #7

Blair and Clinton are very similar - people people I think.
Did I ever post the pic of my Canadian friend Jenn with Clinton, summer 2006, when he attended a conference she organised? She said she'll put the photo on her dresser when she's in Brunswick Wing (i.e. in an old folks' home) and be the belle(or scandal) of the home!
He has great charisma - more than Blair.
.............. but sadly, like many powerful men, found iit hard to keep his trousers zipped. Power is a great aphrodisiac

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #8

As an American, I can't comment on this; but I will always remember reading that when the Blairs moved into 10 Downing Street, Mrs. Blair insisted on evicting the resident cat!!!

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
As an American, I can't comment on this; but I will always remember reading that when the Blairs moved into 10 Downing Street, Mrs. Blair insisted on evicting the resident cat!!!
Humphrey!
Apparently he enjoyed retirement in the country but has now passed

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2007, 09:52 PM   #10

You're right about Cameron DM - Lord help us - but I imagine he won't be around long either, one term maybe and before then someone just out of camera shot (,aybe only temporarily) so to speak will come to the forefront like Blair did and just stand out.
Or maybe just like Churchill did. Right man at the right time or Thatcher (the milk snatcher) then woman of the year for the Falklands.

Karen