Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainCoonX, SnowShoeX, & Their Baby
08-05-2007, 03:52 AM   #1

Pregnant Cat Help

OK so as some of you know I have a pregnant cat. She is due in a couple of weeks and this is my first time doing this on my own. I have been present to help a friend when her cat was giving birth but never done it on my own (she made all the descions, I was just there, LOL) Its been a few years since then and I just want to make sure that I am prepared for the worst and hope and pray things go great. I work at a pet store and was going to get the kitten formula and bottle and such just in case of any emergency. Do you guys feel that its a nessesity (?SP?) to have before/during the birth?? What else should I need to have handy?? I plan to have towels and I have a heat lamp (not sure if its necessary but its there, LOL). I think that Im trying to be over prepared.....How do you guys or have you guys charted or kept track of each kitten and weight gain and such?? Any tips??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
08-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #2

Re: Pregnant Cat Help

Ok I was the same and spent a lot of money on a million and one items and needed none of them! Make sure she has somewhere safe and secluded to have the kittens, mine found pet carriers with the doors off the best places, and are still using them now. I think because they are somewhat enclosed the mummy cats prefer them to an open bed.

A few blankets as you do need to wash them often, towels and some baby wipes incase u need to clean mum up later. I had formula and bottles on standby but never needed them, but the formula is now comin in handy for weaning so it won't go to waste. Royal Canin do a little box with a bottle, formula, teats e.t.c in and it's good value. I'll see if I can find you a link later.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
08-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #3

I cannot offer any advice having not been through it myself, but wanted to say I hope all goes well and dont forget lots of pics x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
08-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #4

I think it's a good idea to have formula and teets etc at the ready. When Abi had her babies she had all sorts of problems and I ended up having to feed them for a while, so it's good to be prepared.

I agree with Random that they do need a secluded and enclosed area to give birth - but a cardboard box would do - you don't need to spend a fortune.

Rather than a heat lamp, I would suggest a heat pad. Either one that you can heat in the microwave, like Snugglesafe, or a plug in mains one.

Lots of towels. Even if the mummy does a good job cleaning them as they come out it will be a good idea for you to dry them off and towel them to make sure that they don't get cold.

I also had a hot water bottle for the first couple of days - just to make extra sure that the babies didn't get cold.

I think that's about all!!!!!!!!!!

(I did weigh them all and record their weights on a daily basis - but I don't think that's necessary really.)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
10-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #5

It is good to have formula in but please don't rush in to hand feed them. I find that a 1ml syringe from the vets is much better than any bottle for very young kittens gradually increasing to a 5 ml one these are available at your local pharmacy. You will need a box for her to birth in with plenty of bedding or towels. A heat pad is far better than a heat lamp although in the present weather I haven't had to use mine. Have some face clothes handy, not nice fluffy ones but cheap rougher ones. I know this sounds awful but if necessary the rough flannels help to stimulate a lazy/tired kitten when rubbed. It is a good idea to have a pair of digital weighing scales to keep track of the babies growth. Long nails are also helpful for cutting the cords as a jagged cut is required instead of a clean cut. I f you want any advice pm me for my phone no. and I will help if I can. ( I am a breeder with a dozen litters behind me). Good Luck.

Ps Just realised you are in the US and may not want to ring. The offer is there if you o though.