Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Birman
10-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #1

Cat carriers for planes

Hi all,
I'll lose my Catsey virginity here instead of the introductions page - I'll get round to that when I have a cat to tell you about! My birman kitten's still a few weeks from being old enough to move home so I'm preoccupying myself with shopping.

I'm shopping for a carrier which would be suitable for air travel as I'll be taking the cat with me on long holidays to my parents' house in Finland. Does anyone know of a cat carrier which they could recommend for the little kitty to travel in? Should anyone regularly transport their pets to other European countries, I'd also be very interested in hearing how you've found the airport procedures and how your cats have managed the plane journeys.

I've been absolutely chuffed to find so much useful information from this forum so a great big thanks to you all!
xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
10-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #2

Re: Cat carriers for planes

Warm welcome and congratulations on your forthcoming new arrival!! My two newest carriers are designed for airlines, I'll try and find a link for you....

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
10-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #3

Hi Lena, welcome to Catsey!

How lucky you are having a little Birman kitten to look forward to

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
10-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #4

Here you go..

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...327&pf_id=5536

I have two of these, I love them, they have a carry strap, front and top opening doors, food and water bowls etc...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
10-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #5

Hi Lena,

Welcome to Catsey!!!

I have the same carrier that Fran has linked to above and would definitely recommend it - it's fantastic!!! and approved by airlines.

As for flying with cats................I lived in Australia for a while and had one of my cats whilst I was there and she flew back with me.

She was totally fine. There was a lot of paperwork and requirements beforehand (i.e. rabies jab and rabies blood test) and I actually got a pet travel agent to help me in the end.

As for the actual flight though - she was fine. You couldn't really get a longer flight either!! She stopped in Singapore for water, but stayed in her carrier. She didn't have any food for a few hours before the flight and wasn't sedated (I don't agree that sedation is a good idea). She was looking quite frightened when I went to collect her at the Animal Reception Area at Heathrow, but settled down really quickly and I don't think it affected her at all really.

I hope that has helped.

Feel free to ask anything that I have forgotten.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
11-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #6

Good morning and welcome to Catsey.

Looking forward to your pics when your little one comes home with you x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
11-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #7

Welcome!!
Plan well in advance. Your kitten has to be old enough for the injections and then it's a six month wait until you may travel... Also get in touch with the airline you're flying with to check if they have any special demands.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
11-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Here you go..

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...327&pf_id=5536

I have two of these, I love them, they have a carry strap, front and top opening doors, food and water bowls etc...
This is my cat carrier, which is also at the moment serving as a birthing box. I'd really recommend this one it's brilliant.

Welcome to Catsey!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
11-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #9

Check out your airlines too.
Last time I did any research on this, only KLM and Air Canada allow small pets in the cabin - others make them go in the hold. I wouldn't want my pet to be separated from me for scary events like air travel .....
Good luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
11-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Check out your airlines too.
Last time I did any research on this, only KLM and Air Canada allow small pets in the cabin - others make them go in the hold. I wouldn't want my pet to be separated from me for scary events like air travel .....
Good luck
Kuta wasn't allowed in the cabin - but it wasn't the cargo hold either - it was a special in-between bit where the "livestock" went.

They also advised me not to go on the same flight as her, as I would be worried all the way and panic at the slightest turbulance etc, so I took that advice and we flew home separately.

It worked for us though!!!