Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
04-04-2007, 01:29 PM   #1

Fleas what do you think?

I have never treated Rosie for fleas in the 10 years she has been with me until I got Alfie as a kitten last July when I gave her a shot as I knew Alfie had them. I have not treated either one of them since and have never been bitten or seen fleas in the house. My question is this:

Do you think cats can build up their own immunity? I hate them having chemicals unless it is absolutely necessary and as I say I have never had a problem with Rosie but that isn't to say she may not have been harbouring the little ******!

Incidentally this goes for my dog too who I have never treated in 11 years.

Anyone else here not treat?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #2

Re: Fleas what do you think?

I cannot imagine not treating my cats and dogs for fleas Everything here is treated religiously. I cannot see how you have manged to get away with not fleaing your pets especially with having a dog in the house

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #3

I'd be really suprised if you haven't had/got fleas with pets in the house. They kinda go together (Trouble is, when talking about them it always sounds a little 'dirty-house' doesn't it? But we all know it doesn't mean that - just a fact of life)
So, I'd tend to agree with your premise that neither your animals nor yourself/ves are sensitive to flea bites. That being the case you may think it's not necessary to take any action. I don't know if flea bites are a risk in transmitting disease between dogs or cats (I do know they can carry both myxymatosis and plague - eek!)

Incidentally, talking to my vet yesterday (and he was in chat mode - I was in the consulting room over 20 minutes!) he tells me that there is a vet study in Colorado showing that fleas are starting to develop a resistance to Frontline Oh good Maybe it was first used earlier in the US and we have a little more time before the resistance builds up here but it seems inevitable.

Catsey Senior

04-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #4

I should have said that Holly goes to the vet every year to have her booster as does Rosie and they have never mentioned either of them having fleas. My other dogs have always had them - maybe because Holly is a lurcher and has a very fine coat?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
04-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #5

Try combing them with a, human nit combe, if they have fleas you should see something

john

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
04-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #6

I treat miy cats for fleas all the time as having rabbits it can be lethal for them regarding myxi.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
04-04-2007, 03:26 PM   #7

I don't treat my cats monthly as I don't like giving them chemicals uneccessarily. I check them regularly and if they have fleas then they are treated. I de-flea the house every 6 months, we must have been lucky as we rarely have a problem with fleas. I don't vaccinate my cats once they get to 10 either!

I don't de-flea the dogs either, they actually get treated less than the cats! Sighthounds don't seem to attract fleas in my experience.

I did have a cat who was allergic to flea bites, so I treated her every month, for obvious reasons.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
04-04-2007, 03:26 PM   #8

My cats are all treated monthly for fleas and I can't imagine not treating.

Abi has FAD (flea allergic dermatitis) too - so I have to keep on top of that.

I'm not sure how you can not have had fleas at all in 11 years - but perhaps you have just built up an immunity to them?!?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
04-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
I don't vaccinate my cats once they get to 10 either!
Why?? ...............

Catsey Senior

04-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #10

I got rid of all my carpets a few years ago and also have a leather soffa but having said that they all sleep on my bed! I have also been told that it is not necessary to vacinate after 10 although I can't remember why. Someone on another forum was told by a vet that unless they have fleas it is pointless treating them.

Wouldn't they build up a resistance if you kept doing it?