Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
27-03-2007, 10:45 PM   #1

rats in my garden

Well it seems as if we have a family of rats in next doors garden, for the last few days we have seen them eating food from our bird feeder although not overly concerned about the rats, they are stopping the birds eating the food. I have shooed them off a couple of times and they have ran across the garden into next doors.

Today I let Bronwyn out and she ran off after one, I wouldn't get her get it incase she hurt herself (the rat was nearly as big as she was!!! )

Now I do not want to kill or poison them as I do not believe in that, however I do not want them to steal my bird food!!

Any suggestions?? is there something rats do not like ??

As we have farmland and a disused stables at the back of our garden we will always have rats but I would ideally like to continue to feed the birds, and discourage the rats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
27-03-2007, 10:52 PM   #2

Re: rats in my garden

Tough one this Emma because if you don't eradicate this nest then you will be over run with them in no time. One of my cats wouldn't hesitate to take on a rat but I agree serious injuries can occur to cats from rats. I'd be inclined to bring in the Environmental Health Emma, I really would Good luck!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-03-2007, 10:53 PM   #3

Sadly, Emma, if you don't want to poison them, the only way I know of is to stop feeding the birds...which I'm sure you don't want to do; but as long as food is available, they'll come. And keep coming, and their offspring will come! Not a nice choice, is it?

Catsey Veteran

27-03-2007, 10:58 PM   #4

Had another thought after posting..... you know I've been plagued ,for years with grey squirrels eating my bird seed until I read a tip in the paper that birds do not have taste receptors for cayenne pepper, but squirrels do. I started sprinkling cayenne pepper on my seed, and after a few tries the squirrels realized it was stinging their mouths. Squirrels are rodents as are rats...have no idea if it would work with rats, but might be worth try......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
27-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #5

Emma, I love all animals, I feed foxes, have rescued mice, birds from the cats and nursed them until they are better, but Rats, there is nothing nice about them, they breed like crazy and spread diseases. I hate to kill anything, but I'm afraid I would draw the line at rats.

Catsey Veteran

27-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #6

hmmm difficult one I agree.

We have decided not to top up the bird feeder which is almost empty so that food source will not be there for long.

As I mentioned we have a lot of farmland and outbuildings at the back of our property and I really do not feel that poisoning them would solve the problem, there must be loads of rats in the area surrounding us and I cannot poison (nor would I want to, all of them) as well as the potential risk to my cats. If anything happened to my cats due to me putting poison down I would never forgive myself.

Arthur would certainly keep them at bay when he is out in the garden, which he has done before. The nest isn't in our garden and the rats have decided that our bird feeder is an easy source of food.

Thanks DM I might just give the pepper a go

Catsey Veteran

27-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
Emma, I love all animals, I feed foxes, have rescued mice, birds from the cats and nursed them until they are better, but Rats, there is nothing nice about them, they breed like crazy and spread diseases. I hate to kill anything, but I'm afraid I would draw the line at rats.
I understand your feelings Kim, yes I agree that they spread dieseases but do you know that humans spread more dieseases than rats

I just don't want them on my bird feeder!!!! lol

Catsey Veteran

27-03-2007, 11:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
hmmm difficult one I agree.

We have decided not to top up the bird feeder which is almost empty so that food source will not be there for long.

As I mentioned we have a lot of farmland and outbuildings at the back of our property and I really do not feel that poisoning them would solve the problem, there must be loads of rats in the area surrounding us and I cannot poison (nor would I want to, all of them) as well as the potential risk to my cats. If anything happened to my cats due to me putting poison down I would never forgive myself.

Arthur would certainly keep them at bay when he is out in the garden, which he has done before. The nest isn't in our garden and the rats have decided that our bird feeder is an easy source of food.

Thanks DM I might just give the pepper a go
I was worried that it might affect the birds, but have been using cayenne on the seed for about 8 months now with no bird problems,,and no squirrels. Give it a try....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
28-03-2007, 02:00 AM   #9

Mamals have the same reactions to capsaicine (active ingredient in chili-pepper) as we do (being mamals), so it should work. Some individuals like the burn, though. I'd worry about the cats getting the stuff on their paws and suffering the same effects.

Catsey Veteran

28-03-2007, 02:06 AM   #10

Thanks, Hreow, didn't realize all mammals have it...it has certainly solved my squirrel problem! I'm one of the mammals who loves the bite of fiery food...Szechuan, Thai, kim-chi, etc!!