Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: A Bombay and A ginger moggy
17-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #1

Breeding of cats

Im thinking about setting up a breeding kennels but im finding it hard to think of what breed i want it to be for. Any ideas?? Bengal...Siamese...Ragdoll...???? There are so many to choose form. i dont know where to start.

Help...!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #2

Re: Breeding of cats

This recent thread may give you some ideas http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=19873
plus you must speak to current breeders. It isn't an easy thing; don't seek to make your fortune and don't think it will be a bed of roses - there are plenty of very sad tales here if you look around the posts.
Think twice, then again, then again; learn all you can and then think about it again

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: A Bombay and A ginger moggy
17-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #3

Thanks dinahsmum! That is very true. I used to breed bombays and we had a few sad tails there. Thank you again!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
17-03-2007, 02:40 PM   #4

If you would like to PM me I will give you my phone number and try and answer any questions you have. I breed Persians and there is no profit in it and it can be very heartbreaking but it is lovely when everthing goes right.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Ragdoll, BSH & Maine Coons
19-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #5

Hi Prrrrr
I have to echo the answers from the others here. Its not plain sailing when you breed cats like people are lead to believe.
I have just lost my first litter of raggies and it is heartbreaking. I hand fed them for four days as they were premature and mum had no milk but unfortunately to no avail and one by one they died.
My best advice to you is read up on the breeds and see which one grabs you the most. Join the local breed club too as they run very interesting seminars. We went on one for the raggies and it helps you with the genetics and colour predictions etc. It only skims the surface but its extra knowledge to set you on your way. Then if you can find yourself a local breeder and get to know them. Ideally one who has had lots of experience and ask them to mentor you. Again valuable experience can never be too much.
i would speak in favour of the ragdolls as they are very loving cats and usually dont have many problems in birthing etc just seems unfortunate that we did. Also the British Shorthairs again are wonderful cats to have but can be a bit difficult when you are having to find out blood grouping etc but this again in the long run saves any heartache further down the line to losing kittens as they are not compatible.

Good luck with whatever and whichever breed you chose to embark in and feel free to contact me should you need to.

Sarah
x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
19-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #6

If you don't even know what breed you want to improve, are you sure it's the right thing to think about breeding? To be a good breeder, you need to do a lot of research into bloodlines and be able to pick good matches. Two great cats do not guarantee great kittens, even for those who know what they're doing. Though I suppose you could get away with having a reputable breeder mentoring you.

If you're just pining for a few nests of kittens a year, have you considered fostering mums-to-be?

Sorry if this sounds condescending and wet-blankety, I'm aiming for "well meaning".

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
19-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #7

I think if I were going to breed anything cats, dogs, fish, whatever it would be because I love the breed and think I could imporve what I already have rather than choose to bred then choose the breed, surely whichever breed appeals to you most is the one you want to breed.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
19-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #8

No offence, but it does seem slightly backwards!!! I agree with what the others say. If you're not even sure of which breed you like yet, then the idea of breeding seems slightly premature.

Plus, I'm not keen on the way you call it a "breeding kennels". To me that sounds like kitten farming. Perhaps I have just read it wrong??!! I believe that the best breeders do it more as a hobby and raise all their kittens in the home and that their cats are their beloved pets first and foremost.............it's not something that is done in kennels.

That's my opinion only though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
19-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #9

I'm with Hreow on this one. As others have said this is hard work for very little monetary reward. There are plenty of breeders and plenty of cats in rescue including pedigrees. I think you have to be 100% certain that this is the right thing to do both practically & ethically.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #10

I agree with the others. It's a time consuming. expensive and sometimes heartbreaking hobby, and if you're not in love with a particular breed, I do question why you're considering it? I too don't mean to sound wet-blankety.....have you really thought this through?