Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
02-12-2006, 11:08 PM   #1

Christmas spirit in the city..

Oh so true!! Town is full of everything christmassy...stalls absoloutley everywhere selling everything, the mulled wine n mince pies stalls keep cropping up too, ones that seem to sell everything inc. the kitchen sink!! And rides too..ferries wheels, carousels, etc..candy floss stalls n everything else too!
The forest of tree's looks quite magnificent this year too..usually fronted by a different musical act each weekend.
Christmas truly seems too be here in raging spirit, must say it hasn't been this way here for some years!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
02-12-2006, 11:17 PM   #2

Re: Christmas spirit in the city..

Glad Coventry is looking seasonal Luke!!! It's nice when the town makes an effort I have to say, our town centre is decked out in new white and blue lights (thanks to signficant local business funding), and everyone seems much more relaxed than last year. Busy, but not aggresive as in the past.

Sadly we don't have funfairs, mulled wine etc, just a steel band and the Sally Army band vying for loudest musical experience

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
02-12-2006, 11:41 PM   #3

It truly is nice Yola..especially when it starts to get dark and the whole city seems to be lit up..then you go too pool medow (bus station) n see the great lights of the whole time zone thing by the transport museum..beutiful!
Will try to get pictures tomorrow

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
03-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #4

living in london alot of the area have *winter festival lights* not allowed to call them christmas lights as its causing offence !!! and our loacl lights are sad. ill make a trip to regent street for a peek at their lights but thats quite a trip away.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
03-12-2006, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys mum
living in london alot of the area have *winter festival lights* not allowed to call them christmas lights as its causing offence !!! and our loacl lights are sad. ill make a trip to regent street for a peek at their lights but thats quite a trip away.
Oooh that just makes me mad!!!!!!!!!! 'Winter festival lights', it's not winter festival it's CHRISTMAS!!! What about the millions of Christians in this country who are being offended year after year due to this political correctness gone mad. The last I checked this is still a Christian country. Jesus is the reason for the season!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Oooh that just makes me mad!!!!!!!!!! 'Winter festival lights', it's not winter festival it's CHRISTMAS!!! What about the millions of Christians in this country who are being offended year after year due to this political correctness gone mad. The last I checked this is still a Christian country. Jesus is the reason for the season!
It will always remain Christmas for me!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
03-12-2006, 03:10 PM   #7

I think it will remain Christmas for all of us. Thing is, other religions do not have to change their festivals to 'neutralise' them, so why should we? It is what it is, and it's silly to try and give Christmas any other name

Cathy - I saw the Oxford Street and Regent Street lights the other week - they're OK, but somehow seem to have lost their magic from when I was little.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
03-12-2006, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
It will always remain Christmas for me!
and me too!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
03-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Couldn't agree more. It makes me mad too. If we went to another country we would be expected to go along with their festivals and celebrations. I am all for 'each to his/her own' but I agree, political correctness has gone crazy.

Whe we were little my dad used to drive us into town (London) to look at the lights (Imagine driving there now!!)it was only about half an hour drive then. I agree that in recent years the lights don't seem so good, although I think things are more special through a childs eyes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
03-12-2006, 08:40 PM   #10

The week before Christmas, we always take the girls on a drive round town to see all the lights. We drive round the housing estates to find the best decorated house, and to the local centres to see their main lights. We spend a couple of hours doing this and usually let the kids have a McDonalds in the back seat while we go round. It has become our family tradition!