Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
29-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #1

Shocked at the price of..

...some flowers from a florsit!
As i said previously the father of an aunt, by marriage, recently passed away and it is his funeral tomorrow morning (not looking forward too it..but, last respects n all that.) And today we sorted everything out..fished out the black clothes etc n went too pay for the flowers, not collect (we decided we will take them with us tomorrow, don't like having them sent on too the funeral directors.) and it cost 47 pound..yes 47 pound, for a boquet of just white lillies with dakr green foilage..no filler flowers or anything, just this nice set up as it were. But i couldn't get over the price..nearly 50 quid for flowers that, in my opinion, nobody actualy cares about!!
Seems madness too me..madness!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
29-11-2006, 06:42 PM   #2

Re: Shocked at the price of..

one reason why i dont think id like flowers at my send off, pass round the donation plate n send the money to an animal charity.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
29-11-2006, 06:53 PM   #3

Hard to believe isn't it Luke? I have a friend that own's a florist and I have helped her out in the shop many a time. She buys her flowers direct from Holland and you wouldn't believe the mark up she makes on them

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
29-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #4

They really are ridiculously expensive for flowers, i mean they are flowers for christs sake!! Not bars of gold...think its far too expensive and TBH i can't see the point! Don't want no flowers when i croak it..what a bleedin waste of money!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #5

Flowers are much more expensive than they used to be: I remember whern a $25.00 bouquet was really lavish; it would look pretty insignificant today, that is, if you can still buy anything for that price! But one thing, Luke, they really are a comfort to the family; I was very very touched at the flowers sent to my parents funerals. So, while it is in a way a waste of money, it's meaningful to the family.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #6

Flowers were also very meaningful to me at my parents funerals ...... they both loved there garden. It was a comfort to me that I could give them something that I knew they would have loved. You would get a shock if you knew what I paid for their tributes Luke!

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
29-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Flowers were also very meaningful to me at my parents funerals ...... they both loved there garden. It was a comfort to me that I could give them something that I knew they would have loved. You would get a shock if you knew what I paid for their tributes Luke!
We had this two years back when an uncle suddenly passed away-the name floral tributes, flowers set in a car shape (he delt in classic cars for many years) ..cost more than what i would be worth in medical science, tripal figures!!
I do think though that it is too pricey..i do like sending flowers, but it just seems money left too rot when maybe it could be used elsewhere

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-11-2006, 11:40 PM   #8

I think close family floral tributes only is the best way ..... they are the ones that it means more too. Others could be asked to donate to a chosen charity.....

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
29-11-2006, 11:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I think close family floral tributes only is the best way ..... they are the ones that it means more too. Others could be asked to donate to a chosen charity.....
Definatley..for example tomorrow there are MANY MANY MANY people going too Frank's funeral..as he was one of ten children (a few still remaining), and most of his siblings went on too have multiple children and so forth, he had many friends in his many years of life..and there is a very good turn out expected, everyone bringing flowers...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-11-2006, 11:45 PM   #10

Well, I'm just speaking from my own experience here, but the outpouring of floral tributes from neighbors, my Dad's work collegues and the people in my office were very important to me............