Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: black n white moggy
29-11-2006, 05:52 AM   #1

Soft Claws vinyl Nail Caps.

Hi there Im a Veterinary nurse. Im new to this forum and was reading some of the previous posts about rehoming cats because of their destructive nature. I think this silly as there are way too many abandoned cats aready running around on the streets.
I think I have found the solution for people at their wits end. Soft Claws nail caps, they are flipping brilliant

I got it from my Veterinary wholesaler NVS by Special order and it came teh next day. The rrp is £21 for a six month pack.
The Vet has been praising this froduct for years, so I thought I try them out when my new sofa arrived. I have to say They really do work and life hasnt been better since my cat Fluffy began wearing them. Fluffy displayed no signs of discomfort or distress, she didnt even notice them on (she is an indoor cat)

They are a vinyl / rubber sheath that are glued onto the claws and effectively blunt the claws up to 6 times longer than regular triming. They fall off after 6 weeks with the natural shedding so there is no risk of fugal infection.

I recomend it to anyone in a desperate situation - Its a fantastic product and will definately lower teh amount of abandoned cats each year.

Has any one tried them yet? you can get more info here:

www.softpaws.co.uk

Heres a pix from the site. Alison VN

Btw. The coloured ones are only available online, I found Vets are only supplied the clear natural ones - good for those less flamboyant felines.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
29-11-2006, 09:59 AM   #2

Re: Soft Claws vinyl Nail Caps.

Alison - those sheaths are superb!!! I love the vibrant coloured ones I agree - cats clawing furniture is no reason to rehome a cat. It comes with the territory; if you can't face a bit of scratched furniture - don't get a cat!!!

A neighbour here used to put her cat out all day in all weathers as she was scared her precious sofa would get ruined. I had a right set-too with her when she caught me putting food out for the cat; the cat didn't eat all day as she was outside all this time

Sadly we live on a busy road and the beautiful fluffy girl met her end there . Boy did I and a neighbour give this woman what for when we found out. She moved soon after.

All goes to show that cats ARE more important than furniture and such a small thing as Soft Claws can make all the difference!!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
29-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #3

I am not sure that I agree with this. A big part of both of my cat's days are spent scratching and stretching and especially for little Alfie he also uses his teeth (getting rid of baby teeth etc). How can they keep their nails trimmed if they are covered? How can they grip when they jump etc?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
29-11-2006, 10:52 AM   #4

Not really sure how I feel about this. I am of the opinion that if you don't like the fact that cats have claws and scratch things then a cat is not the right pet for you. I don't think we should be interferring with their claws in this way just to suit ourselves and make living with them more tolerable

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
29-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #5

I think its a disgrace! They should be banned, and whats more I find it very unpleasant that a vet nurse would be reccommending them. Talk about wanting to dress pets up! Cut their nails, then glue them on, for gods sake and for dogs too!!! You can stick pretty coloured nails on yourself leave your pets alone, it you dont want claws on cats, dont have a cat!
Dawn.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
29-11-2006, 04:12 PM   #6

I would rather Oli scratch my furniture than have to be dressed up like a clown! I think it would be unfair to put these on him because he loves scratching his post, the rugs and the bed!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
29-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #7

I don't like these either, although they're better than declawing.

Where did this idea come from that claws are bad? I can see wanting to preserve your furniture and such, but here's an idea - don't get a pet with claws, then.

Sashimi is very playful and clearly her previous owners never taught her not to scratch or bite hands, but you know what? That's a risk you take with a cat you take on at the age of 3, so we deal with it and redirect her attention to toys she can bite and scratch all she likes. Similarly, a scratched-up couch is a risk you take when you take on a clawed pet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
29-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #8

mine have an old runner in the hallway which they scrap up to their hearts content. very rarelydo they go for the furniture, hey id love a leather suite, but i love my cats more and so i dont have a leather suite.
sorry dont like them claw covers dont seem natural.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #9

The Diva would have your face off if you tried to put those on her, its hard enough to trim her claws never mind fiddle about with glue and stuff.
Sorry not a fan of these products as others have said if you want an animal that doesnt scratch the furnature, get a goldfish.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggys
29-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #10

i did put a link up for these after my cats had sratched my sofa but like i said i couldnt get my head round my cats with these on and not for one min could i even consider getting rid of my cats because of the damage they have caused i just deal with it