Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
10-11-2006, 02:00 PM   #1

Lest We Forget-or have we forgotten?

Poppy day?
I was meaning to post something yesterday, but a post over on dogsey just reminded me.
How come so few seem to make the effort anymore? Have you got a poppy yet?
I have five..on five different coats i wear. Also how many on here have changed their avater as is done for the 'holiday seasons'?
It just seems a sad world we live in when those who lost their lives for our liberty seem to be forgotten...
So many people in town yesterday just walked past the poppy sellers *shakes head*
Eta; My g-grandfather, departed now, sold poppies-two of my g-uncles, his sons, took over after his death-a lot of my family-on the broader spectrum, english/scotch soldiers who were in the war, polish/jewish ancesters who were taken into concentration camps with only two people, a g-grandfather and g-g uncle on a different side, surviving, all these people lost in that war...does make things echo a bit more..

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
10-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #2

Re: Lest We Forget-or have we forgotten?

Unfortunately Luke, to the current generation all this is history whereas the older generation are more personally involved directly or indirectly.

The poppy is a commemoration of those who lost their lives for the present generations to have the freedom they enjoy today. Many of today's older generation still remember their relatives who lost their lives so many years ago.
It is unfortunately inevitable that, as time passes, the interest/association will fade.

Just out of interest Luke, did you study the 14-18 war in your history lessons? It wasn't covered in my schooldays...... probably wasn't classed as history then!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
10-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #3

We all have poppies to wear in my house and I have a poppy permanently on the front of my car an d a poppy sticker in my rear window. My 2 girls have got theirs from school where the year 6 children go around selling them. Both of them have ben taught both at school and at home of the significance of the poppy and about those who gave their lives so that we may live in freedom.

'At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them'

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-11-2006, 05:10 PM   #4

Yep I have my poppy got one on my everyday coat and one on my dog walking coat. I far from forget and always honour the 2 minute silence.

However with regard to the avatar I never change mine at all not for Christmas, Easter nothing therefore don't change it for poppy day.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
10-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #5

My Dad saw service at the end of the war.
He'll wear his poppy on 11th and think of those who can't.

Have you ever been to the war graves in France? We went to one near Caen. Row upon row upon row of white crosses, with the majority recording young men of 19, 20, 21. Some (the saddest) saying 'a British soldier, known only by god'.
I have no-one in that cemetery but I walked around, reading and crying for such a long time and was quite shaken for a time after. And that's just one war cemetery - there are so many.

I think most people understand, actually, and I hate the fact that, like christmas and everything else, there seems a rush to 'do' an event (wear a poppy) long before it's required.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #6

Yes quite agree there, I brought my poppies Wed and popped them on my "everydaycoat yesterday, and the dog walking one today. Think thats early enough.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
10-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #7

My father's eldest brother lost his life in North Africa when his tank was blown up. He is buried here at the Alexandria War Memorial Cemetery. My father visited the cemetery and commented on how beautifully well kept the graves are......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
10-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
My Dad saw service at the end of the war.
He'll wear his poppy on 11th and think of those who can't.

Have you ever been to the war graves in France? We went to one near Caen. Row upon row upon row of white crosses, with the majority recording young men of 19, 20, 21. Some (the saddest) saying 'a British soldier, known only by god'.
I have no-one in that cemetery but I walked around, reading and crying for such a long time and was quite shaken for a time after. And that's just one war cemetery - there are so many.

I think most people understand, actually, and I hate the fact that, like christmas and everything else, there seems a rush to 'do' an event (wear a poppy) long before it's required.
DM, I know exactly what you mean. We visited the war graves near Bayeux while on holiday in Normandy. I don't think that before that time the enormity of those lives lost had ever really hit me. Like you, I walked round in tears and had to stop reading the book of remembrance as it was just too upsetting.

I always wear my poppy with pride.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
10-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #9

My gran got to go and visit her brothers grave in France last year. She is 83 now and this was her first visit. He is buried in a small cemetrey where there are only about half a dozen war graves. It was extremely emotional for her, and she placed some scottish heather there. I would dearly love to go and make my own pilgrimage as I have grown up hearing so many wonderful stories about Johnny!

May they all rest in peace and their sacrifice never be forgotten.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-11-2006, 10:07 PM   #10

When I was growing up there were always poppy vendors downtown on almost every corner and everyone bought and wore one. Sadly, it's been years since I've seen one. An article in the paper today about Veterans Day said there are only 12 living veterans of the Great War alive now...my Dad was a veteran, he's be 99 if he were alive. My Mom was a vet also, she was in the Army Nurse Corps. It is sad how memories fade as the generations pass away...we should never forget those who died to maintain the freedoms we have today...