Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
06-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #1

Introducing Maxwell/Bella to the dogs-your ideas?

Right..we've allways had dogs and cats together-usually in the multiples too, and how have they been introduced-thrown in together and let sort out their own devices. Now its allways worked-bar last time with Elsa, and look how that all ended up, but she did have 'problems' even before she came too us-so maybe that was a one off occurance? Maybe i am being a bit OTT on worrying because of the Elsa situation?
I would like your thoughts on how you would introduced Maxwell/Bella to the dogs safely, and so that he/she feels safe and sound?
I have little worries about with Clementine as it will just be done on her terms-simple, but I want it to go smoothly with the dogs-for obvious reasons. I was thinking along the lines of introducing them slowly but surely, starting off with Maxwell/Bella on my lap and the dogs on a lead and let them have a good sniff and lick (they will-i know what they are like, they shall have to check for eddibility *sp*), or maybe trying the Kitten in crate idea and the dogs allowed, supervised, to nose around it and have a good smell and looksie from beyong the bars? Or maybe how its allways been done before and just let Maxwell/Bella slowly creep into the madness and allow them to sort themselves out?
God i've never been worried like this about getting a new baby..it sounds strange cause she did have her issues before she came too us but i just keep thinking back to Elsa-i never want to experience anything like that again so want to make sure nothing will go wrong-yes, I know, I really need to calm and not worry so much about it all
Your thoughts?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
06-11-2006, 07:06 PM   #2

Re: Introducing Maxwell/Bella to the dogs-your ideas?

I've never had to introduce cats to dogs or vice versa but personally I'd leave Bella/Maxwell in the cat carrier and let the dogs approach on lead.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-11-2006, 11:29 AM   #3

Do you have, or can you borrow, a dog crate Luke?
Apparently thats an almost foolproof way. Kitty stays in the crate in the normal people/animal room (your living room?), everyone else gets used to it and its smells. It gets used to the new animals. I think they come out, heavily supervised at about day 4? and just take it slowly from there. Obviously kittie gets some one to one human attention at times when the other pets are doing more exciting things.
Maybe there's a google link you can find about it - I'll look later if I have time ......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-11-2006, 11:54 AM   #4

There's a bit here in the Gwen Bailey article http://www.dogbehaviour.com/behaviou...ntroducing.htm
I respect her views on training

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
07-11-2006, 12:03 PM   #5

Thanks both-the crate idea does sound good, we have a spare one infact from when Ralph was smaller-he has a BIG one now. So i may go down this road-does sound as if its the best thing to do..

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
08-11-2006, 11:27 AM   #6

When I introduced baby Alfie to Rosie (cat 9) and Holly (lurcher 10), I put him in the spare room with some galvanised mesh across the doorway that way he couldn't get out and they couldn't get in. Holly sat in front of the door looking at him for ages and winging. Later the same day I took him downstairs for about 1 hour with Holly on the lead then back in the spare room for the night. By the middle of the next day all was calm and little Alfie had the freedom of the house, although everything was under supervision for a few days.