Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
13-10-2006, 01:29 AM   #1

Kitten list!!

right, im off to the pet shop tomorrow as im getting my boys on monday VERY excited, but definately panicing! i want to make sure i have all the essentials before they come here so was wondering if someone could help me with a list of things i need to get?

so far i have:
basket with blankets,
a pop up play tent,
cat scratcher with attached house,
comfy cat bed,
small open litter tray.

the things i think i need to get are:
FOOD
dishes(3 or 4 as its 2 kittens im getting)
cat litter(will any type do for kittys?)
grooming brush/comb
kitten shampoo
toothbrush and toothpaste
treats
and of course some toys!

have i missed anything off the list? they will be indoor cats, so i dont think theres a rush for me to get tags and collars etc. im also wondering how long to wait before bringing them to the vets? i know they will be wormed before comming to me, but they wont be flead which is something else im panicing about she assures me they havnt got fleas, but its not something il be 100% certain of until i get the little chaps!

any help and advice to put a jittery new kitten owner at ease is much welcome!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
13-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #2

Re: Kitten list!!

A Poopy Scoopy .

Exciting time for you, its the best time ever x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #3

Exciting times - I had 2 earlier in the summer and it was great fun ... still is of course!

Your list looks fine but on the vet question, I'd take them straight away(ish; maybe give them a day or two to settle and to let you watch them and be sure there's nothing you are worried about). They'll get the once over (sure they're fine but it's nice to be reassured) and your vet will also put on the first 'spot' treatment for fleas, worms and ear mites.

Looking forward to hearing more, seeing their pics etc etc

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
13-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #4

I wouldn't even bother with small litter trays. I got one for Alfie and it was too small by the time he was 12 weeks. Also I love the wood based cat litter because all the poops went straight down the lo and there was no smell at all.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
13-10-2006, 09:40 AM   #5

Just lots and lots of LOVE! Have fun shopping!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
13-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #6

Congratulations! Your list looks fine to me, and don't worry

And I agree with DM, first vets visit asap

Oh and charged up camera batteries!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
13-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #7

List looks fine altho my kittens weren't ones for cat beds and blankets, more like clean laundry or your lap

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
13-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #8

Stick with the cat-litter they are used to. Helps them find the loo and recognise it. You can change to another one gradually, if you don't like it for some reason.
Claw-clippers?
I would also get the collars soon, though perhaps not from the pet-shop. You'd want to get your kittens used to a collar, even though you're not planning on letting them out. You have to consider the chance of them escaping, and you may want to let them out at a later date - easier to train kittens.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-10-2006, 01:26 PM   #9

Plasters for when they start climbing up the backs of your legs......those little claws are really sharp!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
13-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #10

Thankyou for all your replies went to the pet shop today and got everything on my list except the litter-because i dont know what one they are on at the moment so will have to find out and then get some. the man at the pet shop said theres a type of litter that clumps into a ball when pee'd on so you can just flush it down the toilet-anyone know what litter hes talking about? if so, is it as good as he said?

i was thinking of taking the kittens to the vet the same day i get them-would that be ok? my thinking was that if i bring them straight there before going home with them and get it out the way, then they will have a couple of weeks to relax after that and get used to everything until theyl be back for their second vaccination. does that sound ok? im also wanting them checked over and treated for fleas etc ASAP so thought this would be best. does anyone know how long the flea/worming treatments take to work? if they had fleas and were treated ASAP, would i still need to treat my house incase some come home with them? sorry for all the flea questions, im just really bothered by things like that

can they be vaccinated at 8 weeks old? i think i read 9 weeks, but would 8 weeks be ok? i was also told at the vets that they either use advantage which just treats fleas, or advocate which treats fleas, mites and some worms. does anyone use either of these? would it be better to go for the advocate? the lady im getting the kittens from told me she wormed them this week and they wont need doing again for another 3 1/2 weeks, but i dont think thats true is it?

sorry for such a huge post i do have some questions about the food i bought, but il leave them for my other thread in diet and nutrition