Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
02-10-2006, 09:33 AM   #1

Heart Murmur

Little Alfie was neutered on Friday and they discovered he had a heart murmur. They said that many cats have it and can live without any symptoms.

Does anyone here have any information for me as I am obviously concerned for my little boy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
02-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #2

Re: Heart Murmur

Poor Alfie! But I don't think it's such an awful thing and I'm sure there are people with cats with murmers - just can't think who at the moment.
It doesn't seem to hold him back with his adventuring though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
02-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #3

My Oscar had a heart murmur the vet said he had had it for many years possibly since being a kitten I understand it is graded 1 - 6 and from what I understood signs to looks out for are showing other signs of heart problems, for example a cardiac cough, lethargy, poor appitite or fluid in the lung/heart area.

A vet can grade your heart murmur by listening with a stethiscope, so ask them.

The good point being many cats with heart murmurs live long happy and healthy lives like my Oz who was 23 years and 4 months when he was PTS.

For all I know he had a heart murmur all his life I mean when he was neutured (his only real contact with the vet in his first 18 years ) no one mentioned it but there again back in the early 80's I am not sure they mentioned lots about your animals health. The vet mentioned it off handedly as if I knew so I imagine it was not a shock to them - maybe they thoght I knew.

Anyhow it never bothered him I imagine if it were serious - serious you would have noticed some signs by now as he is so active as an older kitten.

Ask your vet. I hope all is well, and sure it is.

Karen

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Three domestic short haired cats
hamish is Male
03-10-2006, 10:40 PM   #4

My latest addition Keira was rehomed from the SSPCA, she was only 13 weeks when i got her and she had a grade 3/4 mechanical heart murmur. When she was seen by the same vet that the SSPCA use for her 2nd vaccination 4 weeks later the murmur had completely gone. I know some one whos elderly horse had a grade 6 which is very serious but carried on for a few more years.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
04-10-2006, 08:09 AM   #5

We have Phoenix who is now 4 and he has a heart murmer but no tablets in fact vets were not hopeful he would live lo and behold my long haired fluffy ginger is now 4 and pacing himself.

Bert who is 21 at Christmas was found to have a heart murmer at his July checkup - add in his age, he's blind, blood disorder and arthritus and they find something lse, he is a grand old boy who survic=ed the move and mastered the stairs in the new house, goes out and is enjoying life to the full. As a youngster I,m sure he will be fine and dictate all he needs and wants!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
04-10-2006, 09:59 PM   #6

My dog Ben had a heart murmur and it didn't cause him any problems at all. I don't know what grade is was though. Probabaly a good idea to ask you vet and find out a little more. Hope he is okay!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
11-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #7

My Millie is now 12 years old and has had a murmur all her life..one of her kittens eleven years ago was found to have a heart murmur and is still alive and active

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
11-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #8

Poor Alfie sorry to hear this X

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
11-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #9

Alfie's fine - or he was last time we heard from Rosie.
This is an old thread (Oct 2006) which must have come up with the recent heart murmur query

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 moggies
01-02-2008, 12:05 AM   #10

tia has a very impressive heart murmur we discovered after i rescued her and took her to be checked out.vet didnt say what grade just"oh wow thats an impressive murmur!"shes had 7 generals when she broke her leg and is fit and healthy.