Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
26-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #1

Do you know your neighbours?

This post kinda ties in with the following posts; Nanny state, Nation of animal lovers and Kids up late?

Maybe it all goes back to neighbourhoods, communities, not playing up on your own doorstep - just think if everyone sweeps outside their own front door the whole world would be clean.

How many neighbours do you know - well enough to wave hello; well enough to stop and chat or even well enough to have over - its personal choice but I think old style friendly neighbourhoods would be the start to rebuilding people's values.

Karen

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #2

Re: Do you know your neighbours?

I reckon I know four neighbours well enough to stop and chat with

A few years ago I could have added three more to that list as I used to very often do their shopping for them. Unfortunately all three of them have passed away now

It is sad to say that the newcomers in the road seem to want to keep to themselves these days.....maybe it is because of the age difference, I don't know Many of them won't even acknowledge you even if you pass the in the street!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
26-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #3

I only have 2 neighbours and although I have only lived here since March, are both very friendly, I have had coffee with both of them....

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
26-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #4

Living at one end of the village I certainly know most down our lane to stop and chat to, Next door on one side of us we see quite a lot of, more in the winter when the horse is in the home paddock. I also know a lot of the dog walkers from when I too, was walking my dogs. We have moved about a lot though and have sadly lost touch with a lot of friends from the past in spite of promising to visit and write, and they too, have moved on like we did. Logoes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-07-2006, 10:08 PM   #5

Kazz, I already did the bit about knowing neighbors on the Nation of Animal Lovers thread before I read this one!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
26-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #6

I know my neighbours. One leaves me her car when she goes on holiday and I have a spare key to her house, she has mine also. The other side is oh x brother in law . Not too friendly
Up and down the street I know them all well enough to chat too. Unfortunatly most of them I dont choose to chat with

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
27-07-2006, 01:34 AM   #7

I don't chat to a lot of them - only a few years ago, this was a very rough neighbourhood, but I can think of 3 off-hand, as well as the guy directly next-door to us who I talk to (but often dislike because he locks his dog outside some nights and it raises merry hell all night).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
27-07-2006, 07:53 AM   #8

Yes, I know my neighbours, all round. We are a new development, so I think the new 'community' just grew with the houses. We hold next door's keys, as they are away quite a lot, and 'across the road' has looked after the cats for me when we've been away (pre-kitten!). They all get allotment produce!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
27-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #9

4 of our immediate neighbours we know well enough to stop and chat to. We even have a bit of friendly banter

There are quite a few who will stop to chat if they see me or the kids outside in the garden.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
27-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #10

There are only 2 of my neighbours I dont stop to chat to - some of you know I am quite friendly with two of the neighbours due to the cats. I also sat and chatted with one of my other neighbours for an hour the other day. WE normally have at least one street barbecue during hte summer, but can't this year. I know 3 people from the street at the back of me (back to back houses) - one came over the other day to check if either I knew the cat that kept sitting on her doorstep or could take him in - I knew him as I had already taken him in last year and found his owner. I know someone on the street the other side of me to wave to as well.