Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
21-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #1

Mortified

At how many kitten are either being sold or given away. My local adds only cover a radius of about 25/30 miles and there are loads and load and that does not include the sanctuaries. Is it like this every year? I have never looked before but since getting Alfie I am drawn to anything Cat The same can be said for dogs and puppies only double and treble the amount. It makes me so sad because it is inevitable that some of them will land up in the wrong hands or even worse.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
21-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #2

Re: Mortified

Yes - it's desperatley sad. I wonder if the increase in PC usage/free advert sites has worsened things? 6 months ago (at a kitten shortage period) there were adverts for kittens for sale for all sorts of money - some (moggies) over £100. It's no suprise some irresponsible or unaware people looked at last years kiitie, growing up and becoming mature, and thought "££££££". 6 kittens, £100 a throw - whoopedoo!
It could become worse - the hot summer could mean queens having 2 litters this summer.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
21-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #3

I have to admit I am soft hearted and headed I don't look at the free ads, and never look in pet shop windoww - in case I see an advert that would propel me into the action.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
21-07-2006, 03:41 PM   #4

I also have to admit to never looking at free ads, but I do know that the rescue I foster for must have had nearly 30 kittens so far - and the majority have been sickly this year, which is sad. We are also a small rescue, so there do seem to be a lot around, and there was last year too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
21-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #5

My local branch has taken in over 100 cats / kittens so far this year & we only cover a small area of the West Midlands. However we turn more away than we take in so there are more than double that who have asked for our help, unfortunately we can only do so much & as we are a voluntary organisation it's hard to find the time / volunteers.

Almost a Veteran Member

21-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #6

YEah, we have turned down a few as well - some from the local CP Branch. We only have 3 fosterers (including the person who runs the branch), we did have one more at the beginning of the year, but she has had to stop. Shame when you dont have enough people to help. But, we do what we can, and every one kitten/cat that we can help makes a difference.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
21-07-2006, 05:04 PM   #7

And yet surprisingly some area's have people who wish to volunteer, yet they don't seem to be wanted. I am not having a dig just stating a fact.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
21-07-2006, 05:41 PM   #8

Seems unfair, doesn't it Kazz? It seems kitten season (which was delayed some, here, because of the cold winter) has started up fully, just a few days ago someone I know rang to offer me "a black and white tabby kitten" (I haven't the faintest idea what that means, no) and I told him no and told him about the RSPCA neutering voucher scheme as he keeps going on about how much trouble it is finding homes for kittens "all the time" ... He didn't seem interested, but there's only so much I can do and say

I can't help but think, sometimes you see ads for the RSPCA and similar asking you to donate money - wouldn't it be good if they paid for one outlining the many reasons one should spay or neuter pets?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-07-2006, 08:56 PM   #9

Sad...we educate and educate, and people just will NOT spay or neuter their pets....

Almost a Veteran Member

21-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #10

i know you are only stating a fact KAzz, and it is a very sad fact. i know when we had an e-mail earlier in the year from someone asking to foster, I had to pester the rescue lady to ring her - I had done the majority of the legwork - but she was prob busy looking after cats. It can be frustrating though, as by acquiring more fosters, more cats can be helped. i actually looked in my free paper today at the pets section - CP iwth the usual adoption/neutering voucher ad, a big rescue with a caption saying 'KITTENS, KITTENS, KITTENS' and then someone selling half pedigree kittens for £30. I suspect that there would be more in other places though, and since having the car, I no longer see ads in the newsagents window.