Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
20-07-2006, 10:56 PM   #1

Computer; when and why?

Well this is something everyone can answer whenand why did you get your first computer - now come on you know you can answer this because if you couldn't you wouldn't be able to see it - would ya?????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
20-07-2006, 11:06 PM   #2

Re: Computer; when and why?

I have no idea what year... I started programming computers in 1978. First PC must have been after that. And before 1988.
Why? I asked Dad what he *really* did for a living (he was a computer programmer back then) and he led me astray by teaching me.
Always good when you can blame your parents, no?

Added: Would I be without it now? Well if all computers suddenly ceased to exist - I would manage quite well. Except I'd have to find out what to do for a living. If I was the only one not allowed a computer - I'd be climbing walls in no time. For that scenario - No, I wouldn't be without it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
20-07-2006, 11:07 PM   #3

I got my first computer that was really mine when I turned 15. 8Meg RAM, 64Meg harddrive, 33Mhz CPU.

The best part was when I decided I was sick of dialup and got my own DSL line and ran it through that little box. I'm surprised it didn't start smoking

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
20-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #4

Whoa you were quick replying Thanks.

But can I also now ask in addition to the above question - "would you be without your computer now?"

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-07-2006, 11:10 PM   #5

I had my comp three Christmas's ago as a present from my hubby. I had never ever given any hints that I would like one....in fact I didn't know the first thing about computers! So it came as a complete surprise to me..

My son was in on the surprise and he set it all up for me and showed me the basics. After he had returned home and I was left to my own devices, I was almost scared to touch it incase I pressed the wrong thing!! My hubby knows nothing about computers either....and to this day he has never 'had a go' on it!! So it's all mine....and just mine!!

I can tell you one thing.....I certainly wouldn't be without it now as it has opened up a whole new world to me!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #6

My hubby and son have always had computers, I always said I was not interested in them...Someone told me about DW, so I kept hasstling my son to get me onto it.....He got fed up, so hubby bought me my lap top...took me ages to learn how to use it, then I found Catpages and that was it....All this within a year, now I am never off of the comp!! and I am still learning how to use it!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
20-07-2006, 11:22 PM   #7

Got my first computer about 14 years ago, it was a second hand Dell and I think I paid about £500 for it (it was on sale for over a £1,000)

Would I be without a computer, no - not for work, home - hmmmm other than catpages it is nice to have a break from the PC.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-07-2006, 02:05 AM   #8

Came to it late in life; used to computers at work, but just in-house, no Internet link. After I retired, got to the point I was annoyed at everything on TV kept saying things like more in our web site, and ads talking about web sites, so decided I wasn't going to be an old fogy...was going to come into the twenthieth century (as it was about to become the twentyfirst!), so looked for the simplest user-friendly one I could find...turned out to be an Apple E-Mac. If this is user friendly, am very glad I didn't get a PC!!! Am still learning, but, as a friend said, "You can't break it!", so have gotten a little more adventurous using it. Maybe one day I will finally grasp that bit about cut and paste for pictures & posting a link to another site (sorry, Tom, Mags, EmmaG & everyone else who has tried to walk me through that maze!) ...and, to respond to the second query, no, I cannot imagine life without the computer now! When we had a long power failure last Summer in a bad storm I was incrediby antsy at not being able to go on line!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #9

Excellent question!!

I first started using an Apple Mac when I was still a designer . . . 1989 shortly after that (1990 I think) I got my then husband to buy me one for home.

I've migrated to PCs now, as I find Macs too unstable and inflexible and all the design packages are available on PC now anyway.

Would I be without one? Sadly, if truth were told; no. When the one I have at home went belly-up the other year and we were PC-less at home, I was pacing like a caged animal. How sad

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
21-07-2006, 11:29 AM   #10

I cant remember!!! Had a pc for as long as I can remember - first at work then basic ones at home. Progressed to now having a laptop.

Kids both have pcs and I cant imagine ANY of us ever managing without our own pc!!

Strange how they are now so much a part of everyday life.