Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
18-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #1

Aftereffects of neutering (boy)

Well, Boy (temporary name still, sorry ) is going in for the snip next Thursday (27th). That means I can let him out at the weekend at last - he's dying to go into the garden bless 'im.

He had his jabs on Saturday and spent most of Sunday sleeping under the bed and being a bit grumpy and anti-social (back to his normal bright and energetic self yesterday though!) More pics later hopefully.

I've not had a male cat since the family cat when I was a child. So not really sure what to expect in terms of aftereffects, if any - any advice on what to look out for?

Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #2

Re: Aftereffects of neutering (boy)

Don't think there should be any.
They don't have stitches do they?
Once he's over the anaesthetic he should be better than new.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
18-07-2006, 10:01 AM   #3

Don't think you will notice much difference, really. Some toms would calm down, be less agressive, smell less bad, but since yours is a big softie really to start with, I think you'll just get the last effect.
Rover was quiet for about half an hour after he got home, then back to bouncing off the walls. I was told to "keep him quiet for a bit", but I don't see how he could really put any strain of the operation-site without some serious splits, so I left him to his usual antics. He would have been more stressed out in his travel-case than doing his usual thing. Half-an-eye kept on him should be enough, same as after any anaesthesia.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
18-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #4

One of our old toms (sherman) was marching around like a sherman tank (thus his name) and bossing the dogs about after being home about an hour-think the tom's don't seem to 'notice' that much!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
18-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #5

Didn't see any difference in any of my 4 boys after neutering.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
18-07-2006, 04:51 PM   #6

As long as both his testicle are descended, it's usually a very routine op. They don't usually have stitches either so other than the area being a bit tender for a couple of days or so there is really nothing to worry about.