Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

03-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #1

Can cats sweat?

Just wondering if keeping a fan on will help keep the kittens cool?

If not what top tips do you have to keep cats cool in this hot weather.

Cheers

Olivia

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
03-07-2006, 10:36 PM   #2

Re: Can cats sweat?

A fan will help keep them cool, if they can handle the draft. (So don't aim it directly at them.) Cold-packs - fill a hot-water bottle with cold water, or wind a towel around an ice-pack.
Cat's only sweat through their paws, as far as I know.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
03-07-2006, 10:41 PM   #3

Cats are surprisingly good at finding a cool and shaded spot As far as I know they sweat through the pads on their paws..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-07-2006, 10:57 PM   #4

I've also always been told they sweat only through their paw pads. But they're good at fiding the coolest spot in the house.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
03-07-2006, 10:58 PM   #5

Unlike dogs who pant when they're hot, cats sweat through their paws I believe. We have a fan on and it helps keep us all cool - cats & dog included!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
03-07-2006, 11:56 PM   #6

Cats do sweat through their pawpads - they can also pant, but usually manage to find a cool spot. Another thing is that catfur is awesome for trapping cool or warm air, which is why it's excellent for keeping cool in summer or warm in winter.

I actually encountered someone on a different forum a few days ago who has just shaved her cats "to help them cool down" and had to explain to her that she's basically shot them in the foot a bit as far as that goes...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-07-2006, 02:19 AM   #7

Snoof, that's incredible!! Shaved her cats to help them keep cool...??? The world is certainly full of awfully misinformed people, isn't it? Poor babies...and I personally cannot imagine trying to shave a cat (Leia wouldn't stand for it )...I wonder if she lathered them up first (snicker)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
04-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #8

mine are all hanging out in the bedroom, coolest room in the hse
i went back to bed this morning and i had ronnie *shouting* at me cause i was in HIS spot

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
04-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #9

I understand the 'lion cut' is quite popular in the US and other hot countries, especially for long-haired cats and that it does go some way to keeping them cool.

I seriously considered it for Fifi back in 2003 as she's got a VERY thick coat and suffers in the heat. Vet said the stress it would cause wasn't worth it.

One word of warning, unlike a dog - if a cat starts panting it's usually a danger sign that the animal is becoming potentially dehydrated and overheated and you should take remedial action.

Poor Fifi just lays all day by the front door. It's in shade and there's a draught that blows from under the door so I suppose she like it there. The boys mope around and wail a lot - I really do think they don't like this weather very much at all

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
04-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #10

can you imagine princess with a lion cut? She looks miserable enough as it is lol.

My lot just find a corner each and sleep, alisha fits behind the sofa and seems to like it there. MD likes it near the PC towers as we ahve three fans blowing cool air out of it.