Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

02-07-2006, 07:25 PM   #1

CAn you train cats to basic commands

Although my cats are going to be house cats once they've had all their vaccines I'm hopefully going to train them to halters and take them on walks in the garden and to the local park.

What would be really lovely is if I can let them off the leads when we're at the park so they can have a nice run around.

BUT I've got to know that they will DEFINITELY come back when called.

Do you think this would be possible to teach them? Or are cats just too independent and self sufficient to do this?

Cheers

Olivia

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
02-07-2006, 07:33 PM   #2

Re: CAn you train cats to basic commands

my cats are very well trained to come running, full speed, whent hey hear a tin can top twang!!!!

other than that theyre hopeless my lot.

BUt if you can litter trina them, (or toilet tain as one member here is) then why not for other stuff

I couldnt see my lot coming back when called if let off at the park!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
02-07-2006, 08:03 PM   #3

mine know the command out, but i normally click my fingers when i do it. thjey then head straight for the bedroom

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
02-07-2006, 08:39 PM   #4

I wouldn't guarantee 100% recall with cats. They're cats.
Maybe, if they are really keen on some sort of treat that you can bring along, you can get them to come back most of the time.

I doubt the local park is a good idea. Dogs.... You will always find one or two that loves chasing cats and the cats will probably end up in a tree somewhere, or run home (across roads?) at top speed. Children who have had little, no or wrong contact with animals - never know what will happen, and you risk having to defend your "vicious" cats to enraged parents, if they defend themselves when attacked. (The cats, that is... )

Have a go, with the cats on extendable leads and see what happens? It gives you a few seconds to catch the cat if there is a problem (before they wriggle out of the harness) and will give you an idea of what sort of things you can expect.

Rover comes back to me when we're in the garden when he's off his lead. Not always straight away, but within about a minute. He has always been a bit of mommy's boy, so quite dependent on someone he trusts. Your cats may be better or worse at this. I wouldn't dream of letting him outside the garden without a lead - he reacts badly to traffic. He does a decent "stay" and responds to "no!" by stopping whatever he's doing. So far. He also fetches sticks, but I think that's him training me, not the other way around.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
02-07-2006, 08:51 PM   #5

Misty always comes running at the sound of biscuits being shaken. Chloe on the other hand hears me calling and sticks her nose in the air and walks away!

I dont think I could ever train Chloe as she is very strong willed. The only thing I can get her to do is say "hello" when I say hello to her which is sweet!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-07-2006, 08:54 PM   #6

I definiterly would NOT EVER let them off lead in the park! Hreow's explained the dangers. Harness training is easy if you start them young,,,although I have never walkd more than one at a time..tried it once & it was a disaster! One at a time is enough

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
02-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #7

I would never take the risk of letting them off the lead in a park....I don't think they can be trained as well as a dog for obeying commands......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
02-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #8

Oliver knows and reacts to the word NO! probably because thats all he heard when he was a kitten...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
02-07-2006, 09:54 PM   #9

Dont do it, dogs go off lead walkies in the park too!
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
03-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #10

You may find this interesting Olivia http://www.clickertraining.com/training/cats/