Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

30-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #1

Are torties always female?

I ask this because sweet said

"and of course Mabel a little girl being a Tortie."

I didn't know this if it is so. Does anyone know why?

Cheers

Olivia

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
30-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #2

Re: Are torties always female?

Yes torties are girls, there are occasionally a male born but they usually die, not really sure why, was told once but I have forgot!
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
30-06-2006, 06:46 PM   #3

I didnt know until the Vet told me when I had Violet back in September, someone on here will be able to explain I hope LOL x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
30-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #4

Tortoiseshell is a female sex-linked gene and therefore are nearly always female. However there are exceptions but these males are born infertile, although they do lead normal healthy lives apart from this and do not die because they are torties.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
30-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
Tortoiseshell is a female sex-linked gene and therefore are nearly always female. However there are exceptions but these males are born infertile, although they do lead normal healthy lives apart from this and do not die because they are torties.
Have you any info on it Kay? Just I am sure I was told they dont usually survive, would be nice to know they did.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
30-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Have you any info on it Kay? Just I am sure I was told they dont usually survive, would be nice to know they did.
Dawn.
Was told this too....must admit i have never known a tortie tom!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
30-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #7

No info to hand Dawn but I have a friend that has a male silver tortie Maine Coon at the mo and he is absolutely gorgeous and I have known 3 others that grew up to ripe old ages. It could be that because it is an abnormality that there are other problems with the male kittens and this is why they die not the fact they are a tortie. Another thought could be that the so called male torties are in fact male and female. This does happen as I have had two kittens, not torties, like this. They have male and female parts and if they are very obviously male then maybe the vet does not look any closer to see if the have female parts as well. Hope this doesn't sound complicated because it is beginning too to me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
30-06-2006, 07:20 PM   #8

You know that the sex-genes are X and Y, XX being female and XY being male? Some cats have XXY. Since they have a Y chromosome, they are male, but they also have two X chromosomes which is how they can be torties, as that requires two "tortie" Xs. Simplified and my BH the microgeneticist would have fits, but vaguely right.
If the testes produce XY or XX (instead of the normal X and Y), then the animal is infertile. If they produce the normal X and Y, they can be fertile. Only about three registered cases of the latter since scientists/geneticists began to sit up and take notice, so very rare.

Please tell me I've managed to sow confusion again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
30-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #9

phew got me totaly confuddled

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
30-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #10

Me too Jac LOL x