Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
21-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #1

Pedigree or not?

OK.
ryan and I are hoping to go to a cat show soon. BUT we are wondering what cat to enter.

Basically what we are trying to find out is could Mr Darcy and Princess be cross breeds??

Ie do you get cross breeds with the flat faces like darcy, or can princess be cross breed?

If not then we can't enter either of them, as we don't have papers for them. So it may mean waiting until Alisha gets older and entering her

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
21-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #2

Re: Pedigree or not?

They would be gravely offended at "Moggy" class? There may of course not be one at your show. Didn't know you could enter crossbreeds without some sort of paper either. I assumed you would need to prove what parentage you could. Shouldn't be long until Alisha is old enough - twelve weeks for kitten-class, I think.

Which show?

Catsey Veteran

21-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #3

dont know which show yet lol. We have been thinking about it since we joined various diff clubs.

Just dont want to go saying " oh this is a cross breed" and get turned away by the judges saying "it can't possible be" lol!!!

Catsey Veteran

21-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #4

If you want, I can look up what it says for the Edinburgh show next month and for the Dundee one I went to with Rover. Might say something in the fine-print there. And then just hope that that isn't just in Scotland. Mind you could then always blame *me*, if things go pear-shaped.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Bengals & a DSH
21-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #5

I would love to enter my babies - D'arcy would win on his purrsonality and his large muscular body - he has no papers as his Mummy wasn't registered but he is 100% pure Bengal - Sebastian has papers but he is too fiesty to take, and of course my babies are the best and would win paws down.

Tia is just a princess and would win EVERYTHING so I wouldn't take her as it would be embarassing to walk away with everything.

Catsey Junior

21-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #6

I think it depends if its a GCCF show or not.
If you dont have paperwork saying they are pedigree and GCCF registered then you wont be able to enter them into the pedigree classes.

Some shows have classes for rescue cats, and a pet class.
If I ever decide to show Ziggy she will be in the pet section because, although she is a pedigree, she isnt registered.

Without the paperwork I think it would be very difficult to determine whether or not Mr Darcy and Princess are crossbreeds.

Catsey Veteran

21-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Just wanted to be sure I could enter them In soemthing and not get told they shouldnt be there lol!
Wouldnt think of trying to enter them in the pedigree sections, but something like the cross-breeds or pet section would be good.
Never done a show before or even been to one.
NExt step is finding out when and where they are!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
21-06-2006, 03:20 PM   #8

Carly it will all depend on the show. Some have classes for half pedigree and some don't you are best talking to the relevant show manager but beware you may put some peoples back up if they think Mr D or Princess are full pedigree. To show Alisha she will need to be 14 weeks old. Which show are you thinking of as I may already have the schedule? You have to enter approx 6 weeks before the show so Alisha will definitely be old enough by then. Let me know if you want any help filling out the entry form. I think I know what I am doing now

You can't enter a full pedigree cat in the Household Pet Section even if you have no papers.

Catsey Veteran

21-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #9

Look at your cat-clubs' webpages (if they have them) they should let you know when and if they have a show. Call someone on the board, if they're not online, to ask.
Then just send for the paperwork. It will definitely tell you what you need to do, what classes there are etc. Will cost you all of a SAE with postage.
And if it's clear as mud - ask! I've not done much showing, but I'm happy to help, and I will say when I don't have a clue. If Kay needs a break, of course.

GCCF has the most shows, so that might be a place to start looking. http://www.gccfcats.org/shows.html
There are other organisations, and they look like more friendly affairs, but have only one or two shows a year in the UK. Think the GCCF site links to them as well, somewhere.

Catsey Veteran

21-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #10

thanks aunty kay! prob be best NOT to enter Darcy Or princess then, in case I am accused of cheating lol

I dont have any particular show in mind. Just seeing what's about and what I can get hubby to take Ryan and I to.
I know the clubs we're members of have all had thier annual shows already, which we missed this year but hope to go to next year