Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

19-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #1

Confused by collars

This cat owning malarky is VERY confusing!!!!

Went into the pet shop to get food and went to look at collars. There are SO many!!!

My main concern is whether I should get a safty clasp (that comes undone when caught) or one with an elastic insert. Is the elastic safe enough if they get it caught?

Also - materials - there were lots, fabric, velvet, plasticky stuff - all sorts. Do you guys have preferences?

Next query was tags or capsules - which is best? What information do you supply on the collar? They are already microchipped, so should I just say that they're microchipped, or give all my details too?

FINALLY - do they need collars at all? They will be house cats, so it's only for if they do escape somehow.

Help!

Olivia

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
19-06-2006, 06:43 PM   #2

Re: Confused by collars

Get them used to collars at least. Easier when they're young. If they're not too bothered, I'd let them wear collars, just in case they do escape.

Safety-catch is the best, I think. The elastic may just help them get a leg trapped if they try to shrug the collar off. The KittyCat Boutique http://www.kittycatboutique.co.uk/ sponsors our photo-of-the-month competition and sells some really good collars.

Just put your phone-number on the tag - that's all the kind finder needs, is it not? If you have space, then adding that they're chipped is probably helpful.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
19-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #3

I have to say, after purchasing two collars from the kittycatboutique, theyre FAB and well worth the few quids they cost.

BUt it's up to you of course.

i prefer barrels to tags, cos I change my phone number a few times lol, no just cos it's easier to change the details, and my boys have bells on thier colalrs, and dont like the extra jangling a tag makes on top of the bell

Global Moderator

19-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #4

I find the safety catch collar best as I have had a cat trap his leg in an elastic one...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
19-06-2006, 06:54 PM   #5

My cat had a safety clasp one, lost about 2 collars in as many months at least we knew the catches worked lol

She's an outdoor cat so we don't bother with collars now, she's microchipped and everyone in our street knows who she belongs to

Catsey Veteran

19-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #6

twix has had 6 colalrs now, keeps loosing them, so if he looses this one he not getting anymore. All my lot, apart from alisha, are chipped. Alisha will get done soon though, even though some of mine are indoor cats.

Collars can make your cat look gorgeous though!

Catsey Junior

19-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #7

Thanks guys.

I think what I'm going to do is get them collars so they can get used to wearimg them. If they don't mind them then they can just keep them on, if it's a huge nightmare then I won't bother.

The ones on the Kitty Cat Boutique are soooooooo gorgeous - I'm very very tempted!!!

Olivia

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
19-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #8

Collars are a good idea, just in case.... However, I think the safety clasp collars are good, better to be safe than sorry. I have my surname, cats name & phone mumber engraved on one side of a disc and then 'microchipped & neutered' on the other side. The link Dawn gave to a web site for collars and discs is great. Sasha is now the proud owner of a pink mouse collar and Misty has the fishy blue collar! I ordered a disc for Misty and it was very clearly engraved. Costs are reasonable, no p & p and service excellent! Thanks Dawn. Here is the linky: http://www.collarsandtags.co.uk/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
19-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #9

Oh, I've just had a look at the kitty boutique - what lovely collars they have too! Must order the little red hearts one for Rosie - will look lovely with her black fur!

I think that the fabric collars are better than plastic ones. I would imagine the plastic ones to be less flexible, sweaty & maybe uncomfortable.

Catsey Junior

19-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #10

Well I've given in to temptation and just ordered a mosaic and a licorace collar for Bright-water and Lightening. I hope they like them

Olivia