Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
11-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #1

We have finches

Well, it seems all the birds are now at ease with the position of the feeding station (5 feet from the living room window ) So, they are all brave and come to eat. Last night we even had my much missed finches.

Excuse the poor pics (taken through the window) but be assured that they are what the caption says!

Goldfinch (the little blighter lunged forward or backward every time the shutter clicked. But I think you can just see his yellow and red flashes)

Greenfinch (he was a bit more accomodating about getting his picture taken) with sparrow

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #2

Re: We have finches

Lovely pics DM...........it's so nice when you get the colouful birds come into the garden and finches are gorgeous.

I was amazed to see a robin in our garden last week!

Catsey Veteran

11-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I was amazed to see a robin in our garden last week!
Why were you amazed Mags - I thought they were very confident birds and happy to be around people? The robin was the first bird I saw on the new feeder.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Why were you amazed Mags - I thought they were very confident birds and happy to be around people? The robin was the first bird I saw on the new feeder.
Usually it is finches, magpies and seagulls round here. There are also some very tiny birds in the tree at the back of us......don't know what they are though
The robins are plentiful during the winter months but we very rarely see one during the summer.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
11-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #5

Lovely pictures DM. I have to say I have had to stop feeding the starlings the suet fruit slab thingies.....when we got besieged by about 100+ of them at one time..... the neighbours were not happy with all the bird poo. not that I could blame them.
So I am back to the seed feeders and the dish on the ground for the sparrows, robins, blackbirds etc And well placed dishes of water around the garden.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
11-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #6

Great pics DM, love to see the birds, at work we have Bull Finches, first I have seen, they are wonderful. I'll dig out a pic of the Gold Finches for you.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

11-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #7

I've seen chaffinches, in the garden but not at the feeder

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
11-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #8

DM, Chaffinches are mainly ground feeders, they dont usually go on the feeders. The males are very beautiful.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

11-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #9

Yep - that would figure- seen them scuffing round on the ground.

Don't you love those cheeky chaffinches that have invaded 'tourist traps'. There is a gang of hooligans at Studland beach and they lurk outside the NT shop/cafe and mug you for your buttered scone and I've also seen tons in quite isolated areas in the Lakes (Watendlath etc) where, again, you think they're going to get into your backpack for your sarnies!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
11-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #10

I have never seen a bird in my garden. Dont see birds in the area at all really. Dont know why...