Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Black & White
10-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #1

Kittens, hand rearing.. urgent advice needed

Firstly I appologise for not being around for absolutely ages and feel rather cheeky asking for advice. But I didn't know where else to turn, as I know if anyone knows, then catpagers will know

Anyhow.. I am currently in charge of 2 kittens that arrived today. Rescued from the steel works, after mum was found dead (shot in head). So I'm currently feeding them by syringe, Lactol every 3 hours and trying my best to keep their temperature stable (pretty hard in this heat). I'm stimulating them to urinate and defacate after each feed and seem to be managing quite well.

So am I doing it right? If not.. please tell me.
I am not 100% certain how old they are, but Carol who 'rescued' them reckons they are 3 weeks. (they are the same size as my hand, have their eyes open, can support their own weight (walk) and one of them is defacating on his own).

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks

Amanda
(Still working for ACC)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
10-06-2006, 10:30 PM   #2

Re: Kittens, hand rearing.. urgent advice needed

I am no expert on hand rearing kittens, although I have hand reared pups. I do have a friend who breeds and occasionally hand rears and it sounds like you have got it just about right there. If they are roughly 3 weeks old, which it sounds like they could be from what you are saying, after they have settled with you a few days, perhaps you could start to introduce kitten meat to them? Good luck and do let us know how they get on x

Edited to say that if they are three weeks old now, they will be starting to regulate their own body temperatures...Main thing is to keep them draught free and not let them overheat

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
10-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #3

firstly well done you for taking on such a commitment.
If their eyes are open & they are wobbling around on their own, I would think they are about 3 weeks old.
Lactol every 3 hours sounds good to me. I would suggest 3 hourly during the day & maybe 4 hourly through the night, although in this hot weather I think if you can manage every 3 hours day & night it may be better.
Stimulation is essential, although they won't need doing for much longer.
So I reckon you've just about got everything under control.
The only other thing you may want to try is a nice cool drink of pre-boiled water occasionally in between feeds.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
10-06-2006, 11:13 PM   #4

Many moons ago we hand reared 3 2 1/2 week old kittens who had lost their mum in an RTA. Sounds like you are doing just fine to me. The cooled boiled water is a great idea in this heat. I would feed every 3 hours and then stimulate them to urinate/defecate afterwards. You will also need to 'wind' them after a feed. 2 of our kittens got colic as they were so greedy. Just rub their backs using your thumb and index finger in a long stroking action. We kept all 'our' kittens and they lived to 18, 16 & 15 years, so even though we were novices we must have done okay!! Good luck and keep us updated and piccies please.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Black & White
11-06-2006, 12:03 AM   #5

Thank You for all your reply's. I'm so relieved that I'm doing it right. I have handreared pups, but have never had anything to do with cats nor kittens as sadly i have an anti-cat hubby n dog.

I've only got them until monday when they will be going to a foster home with more experience than me. She couldn't have them today as she is working 12 hours tonight and so would miss their feeds etc.. so I have the pleasure instead.
I will certainly do the water and winding as that is one thing i haven't done. Both seem to be defacating on their own now, but i'm wiping them in a similar fashion as their mother would have done and that seems to stimulate their urination ok (alhtough they don't always do it, but there's no swelling of the bladder, so hope thats normal)
I'll also be taking them to the vets on monday morning to see if we're right about their age etc.. its just i really needed to know i was doing the right thing.
(If it were pups.. I'd be a dab hand.. but kittens... I really haven't got a clue..)
So thank you so much...

Here's a few photo's for those of you who haven't seen them on dogweb (as i posted on there too as a backup)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
11-06-2006, 07:48 AM   #6

I could get up every three hours through the night for those. Shame about the husband and dog, you'd make a very good mad cat-woman.

Just read your "what I did today" post. That's a very good idea! There would probably be less football and rubbish telly if I got kittens every time! Very clever of you!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
11-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #7

I cant offer any advice, but my word arent they adorable little things!!!
So sad about thier mum though, but at least they were found in time and are now getting lots of love and attention

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
11-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #8

Well done for looking out for these little kittens. You sound like you are doing a great job. I havent a clue how to hand rear any animal but the advice above will be the best you can get!

They are so cute!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
11-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #9

What cutie pies

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #10

Well done Amanda for all the help you are giving these little cuties!