Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
20-01-2006, 12:03 AM   #1

Travel in the UK?

Well I have just realised I am possibly the least travelled person in the UK within the UK?

Where in the UK have you been?
And where would you love to go?
Better still where would you reccommend people to go? a hidden secret?

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-01-2006, 10:38 AM   #2

Re: Travel in the UK?

I'm quite lucky as I've seen a lot of the UK; most if it has been business travel, but I do (or did prior to child coming along) love long weekends away in the UK at B n Bs and small, family hotels.

Also, I was the South West Regional Manager for a year when at B&O and my territory stretched from Cornwall, into South Wales and as far north as Leicester , I was regularly clocking up 1000 miles per week My fave place was always going down to Dorset. I spent many happy childhood holidays in Bournemouth and visits included Westbourne, Wimborne (which I loved) and Christchurch. Salisbury was always a pleasure to go to - historic and ever so friendly as was Leamington Spa (coz I love georgian architecture). Cheltenham is pretty but a bit aloof.

Spent 2 years studying in the West Mids and visited a lot of Worcestershire and Shropshire (and some Central/North Wales when there).

North Yorkshire was an amazing long weekend as the North Yorks moors were simply stunning.

The Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire was also a brilliant long weekend away . . . the River Wye, Ross on Wye, Symonds Yatt etc are really great and peaceful/relaxing places to visit.

Spent a week in the Peak District in 2004; apart from the town of Ashbourne all the towns we visited were really disappointing; nowhere to get anything decent to eat - only cream tea shoppes - and the few eateries there were were poor in terms of food and service.

Only 2 trips to Scotland; one to the Black Isle (breathtakingly beautiful) and another for a working weekend to Edinburgh. It was during the festival and we stayed at some luxurious hotel right in the middle on a lovely cobbled steep street.

And of course not forgetting London which is (in my opinion) the best place in this country. Not to everyone's taste but I love it

Kazz - hope this gives you the beginnings of your list of where to visit

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #3

@ Yola. "Cheltenham is pretty but a bit aloof" - I lived there for 25 years! (So count yourself lucky I deign to speak to you )
Wimborne (which I loved) I love Wimborne too - it's the next town to us. We would have liked to relocate there when we left Cheltenham but decided we'd come here as it's cheaper and we could have a better house with a smaller mortgage!

http://www.nationaltrustcottages.co.uk/ Don't know if you're looking for places to stay with the dogs Kazz - NT lets some of its cottages to dog-people, and there's an enormous choice there.

Where have I been - almost everywhere except East Anglia, of which I am sadly ignorant, and Northern Ireland. Love Scotland. Edinburgh - historic and noble, Glasgow - more history than you would think and the gateway to the Isles, The Cairngorms, Inverness etc. Have gone 'far north' once - as far as Ullapool and Inverewe Gardens (tropical! ) (Microclimate). North-West coast is spectacular, beautiful, wonderful etc. (If the weather is kind)
Have spent quite a lot of time in the North Lakes (Appleby based). Very nice but you need to get away from the tourist honeypots - it's not difficult, a lot of them don't move from the tea-shoppe areas. Watendlath is way way far from the madding crowds.
Forest of Dean is primaeval - some people break tradition and marry people they're not related to! (Apologies any FoD people - not true but it is a very 'close' community, suspicious of outsiders). The roads run outside the communities, not through them.
Ross on Wye, Monmouth are lovely little towns.
I like the S Wales coast - The Gower etc. Swansea even has a beautiful big orange beach (but I found the town a little bleak)
The Isle of Wight is charming - like the seaside and countryside when I was a little girl (yes 100 years ago!) but the ferry charge is exhorbitant.

But the best place in Britain is where I am now and the South Dorset coast (not B'mouth, Poole, C'Church but the small resorts like Swanage and Lyme Regis and, even better, the wild beaches without populations)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
20-01-2006, 01:19 PM   #4

I havent been to many places -

Grew up in south east London, moved to kent as a child. Summer holidays were either Hastings or Isle of Wight. Been to Cornwall a few times too which was very nice.

Spent a lot of time in the West End of London when working in the 1980's which was ok. Dont really like London much. I never feel safe!

Been to Isle of Arron, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Ayr, and all round that area of Scotland as my ex was from that area and he has family there.

Thats about it really. Not one for travelling much I am afraid.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-01-2006, 02:22 PM   #5

Lived in Bristol all my life .....like most places it has it's good areas and it's bad.

Been to London a couple of times and consider it alright for a day out.

Have visited Dorset and Hampshire a few times but I am more drawn towards Devon and Cornwall for its beautiful countryside and wonderful beaches. Cornwall has the more rugged coastline with plenty of places to explore. Devon always draws us for a UK holiday each year, we never tire of it as there are plenty of places to visit.

Gloucestershire, Wye Valley, Forest of Dean areas are very picturesque....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
20-01-2006, 04:55 PM   #6

I know a lot of people moan about the UK but I think it is beautiful and very diverse. I was born and brought up in London and love the capital, although wouldn't want to live there again. My favourite places are North Yorkshire -the moors are amazing, beaches beautiful and gorgeous countryside. I also love the Lake District, had a fab week there last year. Found a brill place that welcomes as many dogs as you care to bring! http://www.greenbank-cumbria.co.uk/ Dawn recommended it to us. I love Hampshire and Dorset, Devon & Cornwall. We hope to retire to Hampshire/Dorset. I spent a lot of time in the New Forest when I was younger (and still go as often as I can now) we have relatives there and although quite touristy now, it is beautiful in any season. Great for dogs too!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
20-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #7

Okay this'll be brief

Pure bred South Walian me and proud of it. Born and bred on the South Wales coast and lived about 10 miles from the beach (Porthcawl) It's wonderful on a clear day as you can see right across the waters to Minehead.

Holidays in Milford Haven on the West Coast of Wales, beautiful area. Been to North Wales for a holiday as a kiddie and would love to go back there.

Moved to the Ebbw Valley about 7-8 years ago on the edge of the Brecon Beacons National Park.

Been to Bournemouth a few times as OH is from down that way.

Holidays in Devon/Cornwall, lovely area, the scenery is absolutely amazing