Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #1

Stroke

What a horrid and under-discussed affliction this is.
Tony Banks, ex MP, all but dead at 62 . From fit as a flea to nothing in an instant.
It affects all ages, from children to centenarians, it affects our pets too.
I suppose there is plenty of research going on but it doesn't seem to get the coverage of cancer and heart disease. I always think at least cancer gives you a chance, it's getting more and more treatable and beatable, but if it can't be beaten at least it has the decency to dispatch you. If stroke doesn't kill it often leaves a mockery of your past self - without speech, or movement or sight or memory................and without a lot of hope
Horrible disease.
Sorry, bit maudlin this morning aren't I? Blooming January

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
08-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #2

Re: Stroke

My best friends mother died from a stroke on new years day, she had one 7yrs ago and this one seemed much lighter but he didnt make it. It is a terrible thing.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #3

DM - did this just happen? I didn't know. What a dreadful shame, I always had a lot of time for Tony Banks - I remember him from GLC days

My father's best friend eventually succumbed to a massive stroke. He had many small ones which just started as mini-blackouts. He was one of the funniest, most intelligent and articulate men I had ever met, and I when I was small I always wanted him to be MY Dad (his kids called him by his first name which I thought was really cool). To see him virtually unable to speak and dragging his large frame around on sticks really was a shock for me, and one that really knocked my Dad for six too.

I think ther should be much more publicity surrounding this illness too. I don't even know if it has a 'national' charity

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
DM - did this just happen? I didn't know. What a dreadful shame, I always had a lot of time for Tony Banks - I remember him from GLC days

I think ther should be much more publicity surrounding this illness too. I don't even know if it has a 'national' charity
Thursday, on holiday on Sanibel Island. He's in hospital in Fort Myers - the outlook is 'bleak'.

There is the National Stroke Association but it's low key compared with many medical charities.

I think I've read that one third of us will eventually die of stroke. If it's instant and in my sleep when I'm 90 fine, crippling and tomorrow...................horrible prospect.

Told you the black cloud is above me today

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #5

My mother had three strokes......the first when she was 64. She had temporary loss of speech and paralysis for almost two weeks. She had a further milder stroke 6 weeks after that but with the first one as well it changed her life. Her speech remained slurred and she walked with a limp.
She had her final cruel stroke 11 years ago......I honestly wish it had taken her immediately. She was unconcious for 10 days, when she came round she didn't know us, she couldn't walk and couldn't talk...and worst of all she had lost her ability to swallow. A tube had to be fitted into her stomach to enable the nurses to 'feed' her.....she had to have fluids drawn off her lungs daily. It was cruel watching her 'live'. She was in hospital for 10 weeks when they decided they could do no more for her and asked us to find a nursing home for her. We found one with lovely country views......she lasted 10 days in there
Sorry to have been so morbid but it is one of my fears that I won't suffer like my mother did

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-01-2006, 03:09 PM   #6

Cruel affliction, stroke is. I too have experience. My father had a stroke at 55, they never thought he would survive, I was 12 at the time. He did survive but it left him with a bad limp, limited vision and mood swings although he did eventually get his speech back. 10 years later he had a massive heart attack and died.

I worked on the stroke unit after qualifying as a nurse and the biggest thing that 'hit me' was just how young some of the patients on there were

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-01-2006, 11:03 PM   #7

Tony Banks sadly died this evening, aged 62
Thinking of his family at this sad time...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #8

RIP Tony...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
08-01-2006, 11:37 PM   #9

Just watched the news report...
R.I.P. Tony............

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
09-01-2006, 12:03 AM   #10

Ah, that is very sad. RIP Tony.

Yes, a stroke is terrrible. My aunt died of a massive one last march, having had a couple of smaller ones a few months before, leaving her very frail. Some years ago I used to work in a day centre for physically disabled adults and was surprised at the number of young stroke affected clients.