Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #1

Ordered your seeds yet?

I've been going thru the heap of gardening catalogues that have been coming; like to get my order in early in case some things are in short supply. I'm sort of toying with the idea of going all organic/heirloom this year instead of same-old-same-old. there are some really interesting tomatoes and beans in one catalogue. Too many choices, too little space!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
23-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #2

Re: Ordered your seeds yet?

I'm going thru' them just now. Am having to be quite restrained as I want them all!!!

Going to try some tomatoes in one of these portable plastic covered greenhouse things.

I have some poopy seeds. When we were in skye earlier this year I gathered some seed heads and hung them to dry. Hope they take as they were a lovely mauve and pink.

What seeds are you thinking of DM?

Catsey Veteran

23-01-2009, 11:31 PM   #3

Vegetables. With a tiny City back yard space is very limited; fortunately the yard is South facing. I'm planting tomatoes, shelling beans, Genoa basil and hot peppers. Plus onions, but don't do those from seed. And the catnip reseeds itself; I always have too much and have to pull out the volunteers! Herbs are grown in pots, not in the tiny vegetable plot..need the room for the other stuff.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
23-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #4

I fancy something different this year, not sure what though, got loads of seed catalogues in too..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #5

I have been thinking about getting a couple of raised beds that I can put in the only place that really gets full sun for most of the day and grow salad stuff and herbs.

After 2 really disappointing years for growing tomatoes in the greenhouse, I think I might put a few plants outside too.

I am also going through the catalogues, and falling in love with all sorts of pretty looking flowers, but I must stick with the veg as I don't have much room left for flowers. I plan to do a big rationalisation of my tubs and pots in order to cut down on watering.

Catsey Veteran

23-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
I fancy something different this year, not sure what though, got loads of seed catalogues in too..
I've been doing Marmande tomatoes for years; added Ailsa Craig last year but not too impressed; shelling beans have been Borlotto; think I'm ready for a change this year too. But I don't think you can improve on Genoa basil...that will stay!

Catsey Veteran

23-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #7

I'm going to try potatoes in strong plastic bags. Seen the idea in a mag and thought |I'd give it a go. I'd quite like to do some herb pots too.

Catsey Veteran

23-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #8

Oh, if I only had enough room for potatoes...little new fingerling with just a drizzle of butter!! Oregano and thyme do beautifully for me in pots, CM.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
24-01-2009, 12:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Oh, if I only had enough room for potatoes...little new fingerling with just a drizzle of butter!! Oregano and thyme do beautifully for me in pots, CM.
Eileen, why don't you get a huge bucket and grow some in there......DM suggested it a few years ago.......

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=14593 - post 4

It would be nice for you to have your own home grown potatoes, wouldn't it?

Catsey Veteran

24-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #10

that's the idea I have. 4 tatties in a bag and earth them up as they grow.

I'm sure a bucket would be just the same idea.