Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
14-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #1

3lb 2oz

Well, there have been some strange pics on CP but I would like to put this in the top 10. It's my crop from the 2 seed potatoes I planted in a huge pot in the polytunnel. Think I put them in mid-February - tipped them out today. I'm looking forward to our meal of new season lamb and new potatoes!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
14-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #2

Re: 3lb 2oz

Those look scrumptious DM. We thought about having a go at some potatoes but didn't in the end. What exactly did you do? Could I put some in now? Where / when / how
Growing your own stuff is so exciting isn't it? It's all really new to me & I can't wait to see the veg develop.

Catsey Veteran

14-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #3

In fact - having had another look at the photos - they look too nice to eat, seems a shame to eat them

Catsey Veteran

14-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #4

They're fab! So even, all approx hens egg size.

You could have a go now. Get some seed potatoes (the only ones left in the garden centres atc are a bit grotty looking, with spindly shoots etc, but never mind!)
OK. Rub off the majority of the shoots, try to leave a couple of thicker stronger looking ones.
Put 2-3" of compost in the bottom of a huuuuuuge pot. Put 2 or 3 potatoes in and cover with another 2-3".
When the (hopefully dark and healthy looking) leaves show through, pour on another 2-3" of compost and continue this until the pot is filled (except for your 2-3" watering space at the top.)
Keep the pot moist all through.
Once you're full with compost just let your potatoes grow away and harvest when you think they're done!

Good luck. You can probably google and get a better description of how to do it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
14-05-2006, 01:00 PM   #5

It's how I grow spuds as well. Only one spud and stable-bucket. Very easy.

Catsey Veteran

14-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #6

And no digging!

Catsey Veteran

14-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #7

thanks DM. Firstly seed potatoes, any type of potatoe that's got shoots on, right? (Sorry if I'm asking silly Q's but I have never done this before) & you say a huge pot. How huge would you think is best? Give me an idea of size & I'll have a go at some potatoes, now I've seen yours I've got to give it a go. & I've got some carrots growing. Oh my word, in a few weeks I could be eating a sunday chicken dinner with my own pots & my own veg (No, I draw the line there - I'd have to buy the chicken from Asda, couldn't eat my own girls)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
14-05-2006, 01:08 PM   #8

WOW DM they look so fresh!!! I think I will have a go next year at potatoes, never tried them before as we don't eat a great deal of them, well only new small potatoes

I have heard some good reports of people using supermarket potatoes

Catsey Veteran

14-05-2006, 01:10 PM   #9

You'll have to have an omlette Smudgley! I often joke that if I could keep chickens I could feed us entirely. I wouldn't (and actually don't) eat chickens either.

Seed potatoes from a nursery are 'disease free' etc etc, but you're right, any spud will shoot eventually. You may get a healthier specimen at this point in the year by buying 'eating spuds' from the greengrocer rather than special seed potatoes.

Size of pot - Hreow's big bucket sounds good. Today's crop came from a cylindrical (ie straight sided, not tapering) round pot about 2 foot diameter.
One spud in a small bucket, two in a huuuge bucket, three in a barrell.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
14-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #10

Well I suppose growing them in a bucket/large pot must help with diseases and you are far more likely to get nice healthy potatoes.

I wonder if you can use a supermarket Jersey Royal potato??