Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-01-2009, 03:01 AM   #11

Re: Ordered your seeds yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Eileen, why don't you get a huge bucket and grow some in there......DM suggested it a few years ago.......

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=14593 - post 4

It would be nice for you to have your own home grown potatoes, wouldn't it?
I remember that post, Mags; the problem is getting enough bags of potting soil home to fill the bucket. For some unknown reason, potting soil from the Safeway isn't available for online ordering with my order. And a bit difficult lugging bags home on the bus...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
24-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I remember that post, Mags; the problem is getting enough bags of potting soil home to fill the bucket. For some unknown reason, potting soil from the Safeway isn't available for online ordering with my order. And a bit difficult lugging bags home on the bus...
That's a shame Eileen.....is there no other outlet that would deliver for you?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #13

Eileen - you're going to have to prevail upon the good nature of a car-owning friend to get yourself some compost.

I've bought my potatoes and have set the very earlies to chit. Will plant them in a container in the polytunnel within the next couple of weeks. For my main potato crop (which will be earlies - I don't think it's worth clogging the plot with main crop, besides which, the main crop have caught blight for the last 2 years, what with the global warming and excessive rain) I have got 'International Kidney' which is the generic name for what we find in the shops as Jersey Royals, and which are, indeed, the nobility of spuds!

I've also got a new garlic to try, as well as some saved from last year, and my shallot and onion sets.

The seed catalogues are sooo alluring!

Oh, I've also got a raised bed (in kit form) on order. Basically 4 rot-treated planks with corner supports, but hi-tech enough for the non DIY folks like me. I'm intending to get one or two of these each year, to fill the half of my half-allotment which grows the 'plant new every year' stuff, to minimise digging and generally make life easier.

I'm just back from the allotment - the place was buzzing. The weather is lovely and an allotmenteers mind turns to thoughts of warm soil!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #14

Would you mind saying where you ordered your raised bed kits from DM? I am getting confused with the number of different ones currently being sold! Quite like the idea of ones that have hoops that can be added for fleece/netting etc.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #15

It's from Marshall's angie. I was ordering my French style shallots so i thought I'd just get it from them.
I'm not sure if it was the cheapest or whatever but it looked reasonable. They have 4' square or 4 x 8'. I've ordered the bigger one. I looked at the recycled plastic but decided to stick with good ole wood.

I think www.gardening-naturally.co.uk might be the site you need for hoops/fleece/clips/netting but I don't know if they have raised beds with accessories.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #16

Thanks DM - I will check that out!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
01-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #17

Been to Garden Centre this pm and bought loads of flower seeds.

Sweet Peas, Poppies, Nigella, Larkspur, Nasturtium, Cornflower, Sweet William, Pheasants Eye and Black eyed Susan.

Veg seeds coming thru' post but found a packet of seeds called 'floral feast' which is a variety of edible flowers. Something new to try.